ID UK: Blackcap...? (1 Viewer)

theMusicMan

Thanks both. Not the best of pics is mine I appreciate that, I didn't adjust the exposure compensation enough as I was shooting from the ground into the treetops and had to do a major selective ev redress in PS :)

Ta for the confirmation though. Much appreciated.

Fozzybear

Ich bin ein Vogelbeobachter
If it helps then because it's a got a black cap it's a male - the females have a brown cap. Well done getting a photo... something I've yet to achieve!

theMusicMan

If it helps then because it's a got a black cap it's a male - the females have a brown cap. Well done getting a photo... something I've yet to achieve!
Thanks for the comments on the photo Fozzy... it's not a very good one though. Cropped to death and adjusted in CS3 to get even anything 'lookable'... :)

Glad to have seen one though, in fact there were a few about in the tree tops where I walked.

Thanks for the info about male / female... appreciated.

Quercus

homo sarkensis
Not all birds with black caps are blackcaps... if you know what I mean!

Listen out for the distinctive "Tack-tack" call coming from thick bushes!

Fozzybear

Ich bin ein Vogelbeobachter
I guess not, bullfinches for one have black caps... they're a touch more 'rotund' than blackcaps though.

Have been hearing (and seeing occasionally) loads of Blackcaps in the last week or two, I'm starting to tune into their song a bit which helps. Walking around my local reserve yesterday the place was alive with them! Superb!!

Users who are viewing this thread