• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

ID - Ventura, CA (1 Viewer)

Gduff

Hi,
Please help me identify this bird (if possible !), taken near Ventura, California.

(Not my picture, and the only one)

Thank you !

Attachments

• IMG-20220601-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20220601-WA0009.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 43

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
What about a male pin-tailed whydah at a time when the tail is not fully grown? Not an exact match but worth considering.
Niels

Gduff

I am not at all sure what I am seeing here - what is bird and what is vegetation. My best guess would be a vagrant Lark Bunting. Do you know when the picture was taken?

It was taken on June 1st.
After checking on the internet, the photographer told me that Black-headed Grosbeak was indeed the best fit.
There was obvious orange tone, but it seemed to him there wasn't as much orange as other pictures of BHG. But it might just be the angle of the bird

Users who are viewing this thread