• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Warbler (Aujols France) (1 Viewer)

marcap

France
Hello, would like to be sure this is a Willow warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus). Photo taken a few days ago.
Thank you.

DSCN3930.JPG

with this short primary projection? not entirely sure but i suspect this is a western bonelli's warbler.
crosspost with andrew.

I get crazy to identify these warblers!! Is this the same bird? Pics are from different days and I think there are 2 or 3 different warblers on my garden and just not so far from it.

Attachments

• DSCN2380.JPG
    DSCN2380.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 78
Of course, it’s Western Bonelli’s! wasn’t paying enough attention (currently slapping wrists) short pp and weak lores, not to mention the yellowish green wing panel and white unders, it wasn’t on my radar and the pale legs pushed me to WW. :(
I’d like to add that the second bird also looks very much like Western Bonelli’s.

Cheers

BIrd in pic 2 looks to have willow-warbler-length primaries.
Appears to have a complete eye-ring, pale lores giving an almost bland face, with no real contrasting eye-stripe/super which one might expect from Willow Warbler. Also dark legs, limey green wing panel, limey green rump which as a suite of characters together do not support or endorse Willow Warbler as a candidate imo, add to that an ill defined port primary length, which I believe is visually extended by the starboard wing.

Cheers

Appears to have a complete eye-ring, pale lores giving an almost bland face, with no real contrasting eye-stripe/super which one might expect from Willow Warbler. Also dark legs, limey green wing panel, limey green rump which as a suite of characters together do not support or endorse Willow Warbler as a candidate imo, add to that an ill defined port primary length, which I believe is visually extended by the starboard wing.

Cheers

Hello, so if I well understand English (not all the words are clear to me) this is a Bonelli's warbler.

Yes, the second image suggests a Bonelli's warbler from Ken's explanation.

Port ( left side) and starboard (right side ) are naval references.

Last edited:
1st and second bird , both are Western Bonelli's Warbler. second one even more obvious (note for instance really white underparts and pale lore). primary projection is hard to assess in such a pic from slightly underneath, butty.

Both WBW's as Lou says but also note 1) the OP's distinctly whitish-fringed tertials + extensive pinkish lower mandible 2) second individual shows pale-fringed inner greater coverts, less obvious in OP (lighting?) which, typically forms a pale panel.

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back