• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

ID yellow-breasted bird, Colorado USA (Front Range) (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
I had a poor view of this medium to small perching bird from below on a cloudy evening, high in a deciduous tree. I saw a yellow neck/breast (with some darker or less bright spots) above a dark belly, a smallish dark bill, and an impression of something like a dark streak through the eye, or lighter areas above/below the eye -- not a uniformly colored head. Couldn't see the wings or back.

My only guess is a female Yellow-headed Blackbird, but I'm doubtful. It seemed smaller, closer to finch/warbler size. And the environment seemed wrong: there are plenty of blackbirds (Red-Winged) around the lake I visited, but that's a mile and a half away, and I've never seen one on the street here. Any other suggestions? (I don't think juvenile YHBs have fledged yet)

tenex

reality-based
Yellow-rumped Warbler?
No, thanks, I'd recognize that... and its breast isn't yellow.

I've looked at some photos and think it may have been a juvenile Yellow-headed Blackbird after all, or possibly a female. Why it was there I can't guess, but as Peterson once said, birds have wings.

Users who are viewing this thread