• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ideas for Monitoring Bird Sounds from Inside the House (1 Viewer)

lindarap

United States
Having spent a long time looking up options on the internet, I am interested in what others are doing to make this work. Do you use a baby monitor? Purchase the Nature's Window 3 Outdoor Sound Monitor, create your own? I want to sit at my desk with the windows closed (winter, air conditioning on, rainy day, etc) and hear the birds inside my home office. I could mount something about 30 feet away if needed. We also use products to enable Alexa to manage outdoor string lights, white-lit Christmas tree, speakers with an indoor receiver, etc, and that would be a win to have something be Alexa-enabled. Thanks very much in advance for your ideas, comments and innovation :).

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi lindarap and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I think your post would be better placed in the Birds Sounds forum, so I'll move it there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Most wireless/WiFi/Alexa kit is video rather than just audio. One can get waterproof Alexa cameras, designed for security use, than would do the job. You would need to run a power cable out to the feeder and check if your WiFi works out that far.

Depending on how tech savvy you are you could use an ip camera, your options are more and they are cheaper. You would need to run a network cable out to it, that could also provide power.

If you do just want audio you could buy a waterproof microphone and run a mic cable out to it and just plug it into a hifi.

Hi lindarap and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I think your post would be better placed in the Birds Sounds forum, so I'll move it there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Having spent a long time looking up options on the internet, I am interested in what others are doing to make this work. Do you use a baby monitor? Purchase the Nature's Window 3 Outdoor Sound Monitor, create your own? I want to sit at my desk with the windows closed (winter, air conditioning on, rainy day, etc) and hear the birds inside my home office. I could mount something about 30 feet away if needed. We also use products to enable Alexa to manage outdoor string lights, white-lit Christmas tree, speakers with an indoor receiver, etc, and that would be a win to have something be Alexa-enabled. Thanks very much in advance for your ideas, comments and innovation :).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back