Identification ? ( Hummingbird Feeder Thief ! ) (1 Viewer)

Bobbo

Hey guys & gals ...

I have a bird of unknown species raiding my hummingbird feeder for it's nectar . Can anyone out there help me identify what type of bird this is ? It looks a bit like a woodpecker ???

Attachments

• mysterybird_zps62229a99.jpg
    mysterybird_zps62229a99.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 99

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
United States
A Downy and mine are always sitting and sipping from the hummer feeders. Somewhere, I even have a picture of a Downy on one side of the feeder and a hummer on the opposite side ;)

PumaMan

Yep, our Gila Woodpeckers love to drink the nectar.
In addition to the Gila Woodpeckers, I also see Hooded Orioles. And one other small grayish bird (darker gray wings, lighter gray undersides), smaller than a Lesser Goldfinch. It is quite acrobatic, hanging from the hummingbird dish feeders. I think it is a Bush Tit. Would you know what this little bird is Lisa? (Sorry, no pictures.)

Question: Do most woodpeckers drink nectar from hummingbird feeders?

chris butterworth

aka The Person Named Above
I think most Woodpeckers end up eating quite a bit of sap, particularly those species that utilise live trees, so the move to Hummer feeders is a reasonable extension of this. As for other species, it could be that, after the breeding season, any easy source of a high energy meal isn't going to be passed up.

Chris

BTW I will get Gila Woodpecker on my life list - one day. ;)

C

Users who are viewing this thread