• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify bird, central Maine, USA (1 Viewer)

Suzabell

United States
It's Thanksgiving morning and about 28 degrees. Looking out the window, I just saw what I would have identified as a moth if it was summer and I saw it inside the house. It was small, about half the size of a hummingbird, and fluttering very vigorously. Color yellowish or pale beige. It looked very lively and somewhat like a small bird in the way it flew, but I've never seen a bird that small here - nor have I ever seen a moth outside at this time of year. I wish I could describe it more accurately, but it was small and a fair distance away. I wouldn't have noticed it at all except for the very lively way it was flitting about. Any ideas as to what this could be?

A happy Thanksgiving to you. I cannot be much help, but hummingbirds are the smallest birds, so if it was half the size of a hummingbird, it could not have been a bird. I do not know what kind of insect would be active at that temperature.

It's probably what they call a Hummingbird Moth. Here's a link to an article: Hummingbird Moths

Hi there Suzabell and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

There are moths to be seen flying all year in temperate regions. Hummingbird hawkmoths feed on nectar so I doubt would be seen where you are in late November, and their flight would not be described as 'fluttering' - it's far stronger and more direct.
Judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable, so I wouldn't be sure that it was literally 'half the size of a hummingbird'. It may in fact have been bigger, and thus possibly a bird - on whose identity I would not dare to make suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back