• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Identify (1 Viewer)

neil211257

United Kingdom
Im trying to identify what bird this is. Have looked at books and it points to a yellow hammer. But all write ups I read say they are seldom seen in gardens and never in the abundance that I have witnessed over the last few days. At least 15 to 20 at times, its amazing. Can somebody in the know please help. DSC_0020 (2).JPG DSC_0020 (2).JPG DSC_0020 (2).JPG

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Do you suppose because of the cold they are searching for food which would draw them in.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Indeed you have a Yellowhammer here Neil. They're generally around arable fields but this cold snap will have brought them to your garden in the hope of finding some seeds to eat.

How I'd love to have some here, but their numbers are reducing and I'm finding it difficult to see any at all nowadays.

Welcome to Birdforum from me as well - I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

neil211257

United Kingdom
Indeed you have a Yellowhammer here Neil. They're generally around arable fields but this cold snap will have brought them to your garden in the hope of finding some seeds to eat.

How I'd love to have some here, but their numbers are reducing and I'm finding it difficult to see any at all nowadays.

Welcome to Birdforum from me as well - I'm sure you will enjoy it here.
Hi its Neil again thank you for your replies. My wife has been feeding the birds for years and gets great enjoyment out of it. We get a vast amount from common sparrows to even the odd hawk. But this was a first for us. And as I said earlier everything I read about the yellow Hammer said seldom gardens and never in great numbers. So thank you for your responses, glad I joined. Sadly we also have a dead one, death cause unknown but as the weather is really bad here in Scotland there is bound to be casualties.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Sorry Neil... I missed where you were from!

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage and we ever get out of lockdown!! ;) (I've had my first jab!!)

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Users who are viewing this thread