• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IDs in Berlin, Germany (1 Viewer)

jocateme

Having doubts with some birds seen in Berlin in October. Would anyone be so kind as to confirm/correct these IDs?

1 - Tree pipit? (Tempelhofer Feld)
2 - Goshawk? (hovering over Neukölln)
3 - Not sure which treecreeper (Grünewald)
4 - Herring gull? (Wannsee)
5 - Scaup? (Schlachtensee)

I can upload more photos of them, if necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_6119.jpg
    IMG_6119.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_6287.jpg
    IMG_6287.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_6375.jpg
    IMG_6375.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_6403.jpg
    IMG_6403.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_6519.jpg
    IMG_6519.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 230
1 Skylark
2 Goshawk (looking at it again? Despite bulging secondaries & overall long-winged appearance? I'd like to see better photos to rule out Sparrowhawk...)
3 Distinct white primary tips & "even-notch?" Short-toed Treecreeper for me
4 argentatus? Herring Gull
5 Female-type Tufted Duck

Others' opinions will follow! I may be wrong of course... :cat:

Last edited:
Definitely an adult Goshawk and one very instructive photo showing most of the distinguishing characters between it and the much smaller Sparrowhawk.

Peter

Thanks a lot for the help, guys! Sending more pics of the hawk, just in case. And also one of another duck that was in the same lake (Schlachtensee) which I'm guessing is a male tufted duck?

Attachments

• IMG_6280.jpg
    IMG_6280.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_6286.jpg
    IMG_6286.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_6516.jpg
    IMG_6516.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 160
Thanks Val!

I'm gonna ask for you guys' help once more. These hawks were photographed while flying very high above Tempelhofer Feld. There were six of them. I had previously identified them as common buzzards but then, after reading some posts here, I realised there was a possibility that they could be honey buzzards. Is it possible to ID from these pics?

Attachments

• IMG_6166.jpg
    IMG_6166.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_6171.jpg
    IMG_6171.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_6173.jpg
    IMG_6173.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 198
Thanks Val!

I'm gonna ask for you guys' help once more. These hawks were photographed while flying very high above Tempelhofer Feld. There were six of them. I had previously identified them as common buzzards but then, after reading some posts here, I realised there was a possibility that they could be honey buzzards. Is it possible to ID from these pics?
Yes, they are Common Buzzards (among more subtle differences: they all show a white bar on the breast which rules out all other possibilities).
Furthermore, the last Honey Buzzards leave in September.

Thanks Val!

October is relatively late for Honey Buzzard, as they are long-distance migrants (which is what Peter was alluding to). The pictures definitely show Common Buzzard, in any case.
Agree with the others on the rest of the birds. Goshawk is a nice find, even though Berlin is famous for its Goshawk population - normally it's a very shy and elusive bird. The pictures show many distinguishing features - proportionally longer wings than Sparrowhawk (especially the "arm"), only faint barring on secondaries, rounded tail tip, massive build, etc. In general, the proportions are less "extreme" than in Sparrowhawk.
The default Aythya duck in inland Germany is Tufted Duck; Scaup is usually found near the sea (and less common anyway).

Last edited:
Thank you all for helping me once again, guys! Time of year and distinctive characteristics mentioned by Xenospiza and Sangahyando settle it, then!

Please always state date of the observation

Sorry, Peter! They were seen in October 9th. I'd mentioned it in the first post but forgot to do it again in the buzzards' query!

Goshawk is a nice find, even though Berlin is famous for its Goshawk population - normally it's a very shy and elusive bird.

So had I heard, Sangahyando! That's actually the main reason I chose Tempelhofer Feld to go birding, as goshawks are supposedly easy to spot there. I was gladly surprised and partly skeptic (hence my questioning here) to see them hovering over a highly urbanized area!

Thanks a lot for the help, guys! Sending more pics of the hawk, just in case. And also one of another duck that was in the same lake (Schlachtensee) which I'm guessing is a male tufted duck?

Now I see the GOS. Danke! ;)B :)

So? Just the Treeceeper & Herring Gull to clear up this post question?

Happy days! :cat:

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

Thanks for bringing them up again. I've been reading about how to tell eurasian and short-toed treecreepers and it sure is no piece of cake. I'm uploading more angles of 'my' treecreeper. About the characteristics you mentioned earlier pointing out to short-toed: though I agree that the wingbar is more consistent with short-toed, the primary tips apparently are pale rather than white, judging from these pics I'm attaching. Also, although the photos don't help much on that matter, the alula doesn't seem to be pale margined as expected in short-toed, right?

Attachments

• IMG_6370.jpg
    IMG_6370.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_6371.jpg
    IMG_6371.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6372.jpg
    IMG_6372.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6373.jpg
    IMG_6373.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6374.jpg
    IMG_6374.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 112
There's a definite "angled-notch" in the front-edge of the wing-bar. Indistinct grey-white tips to primaries in these pics? So, I'd say Treecreeper with new evidence.

Just the Gull to clear up then?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back