• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Ids Please near Arundel, West Sussex yesterday (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

Can I have help with IDs Please photographed yesterday at Climping and Ford, West Sussex.
First two in the same tree not sure, third Whitethroat last picture either Whimbrel or Curlew but I managed to cut its head off.

Mike

Attachments

• A9F3E674-3DEE-4CD8-8CB8-857FF848B8E7_1_201_a.jpeg
    A9F3E674-3DEE-4CD8-8CB8-857FF848B8E7_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 147
  • 4B40D0AA-684C-4506-B09E-DA57D68EA839_1_201_a.jpeg
    4B40D0AA-684C-4506-B09E-DA57D68EA839_1_201_a.jpeg
    846.5 KB · Views: 123
  • ACCCEC82-C1E6-4AEF-90D7-56E974BF334E_1_201_a.jpeg
    ACCCEC82-C1E6-4AEF-90D7-56E974BF334E_1_201_a.jpeg
    974.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 60EFF108-47B8-4D0D-BECA-E863B01A30BC.jpeg
    60EFF108-47B8-4D0D-BECA-E863B01A30BC.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 152

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Mike,
first picture shows two Reed Warblers. Left bird is more easy by
  • full, slightly rounded tail lacking whitish edges
  • the right brown shade
  • long, slender bill for a Warbler adds to an acrocephalus-jizz against other warblers
Right bird: I cant see anything wrong for a Reed Warbler (I would like to learn if a Marsh warbler can be excluded just by very long appearing claws, I am very intereste in this topic!)

Second picture shows a Reed Warbler, too by
  • the same right brownish hues
  • head profile is even more typical and id-friendly with snout, long head merging in a EDIT: quite long, spikish bill
Agree, third is a Common or Lesser Whitethroat by
  • whitish outer tail
  • different jizz with rounded head and smaller bill with different shape

But which one?
  • pale legs with a just visible yellowish/grenish tinge is just within variation for a Lesser, but also good for a Common (when picture quality is considered)
  • overall colours are darkish and cold, so at first seems better for a Lesser
  • but its hard to exclude a very worn, drab Common, for which bill shape seems slightly better

Do you have more pictures? I am not at best device to judge faint hues, but somehow it gives a Common WT jizz to me, but I am unsure.

Third is one for the real experts. But despite longish looking legs (is that really a field-mark?) it gives a Whimbrel-jizz to me:
  • drab, dark-jizz
  • Whimbrels are often more approachable than Curlews

Last edited:

Mike Beer

Hello Mike,
first picture shows two Reed Warblers. Left bird is more easy by
  • full, slightly rounded tail lacking whitish edges
  • the right brown shade
  • long, slender bill for a Warbler adds to an acrocephalus-jizz against other warblers
Right bird: I cant see anything wrong for a Reed Warbler (I would like to learn if a Marsh warbler can be excluded just by very long appearing claws, I am very intereste in this topic!)

Second picture shows a Reed Warbler, too by
  • the same right brownish hues
  • head profile is even more typical and id-friendly with snout, long head merging in a long bill
Agree, third is a Common or Lesser Whitethroat by
  • whitish outer tail
  • different jizz with rounded head and smaller bill with different shape

But which one?
  • pale legs with a just visible yellowish/grenish tinge is just within variation for a Lesser, but also good for a Common (when picture quality is considered)
  • overall colours are darkish and cold, so at first seems better for a Lesser
  • but its hard to exclude a very worn, drab Common, for which bill shape seems slightly better

Do you have more pictures? I am not at best device to judge faint hues, but somehow it gives a Common WT jizz to me, but I am unsure.

Third is one for the real experts. But despite longish looking legs (is that really a field-mark?) it gives a Whimbrel-jizz to me:
  • drab, dark-jizz
  • Whimbrels are often more approachable than Curlews
I have no more better pictures and the Wimbrel/Curlew flew after my poor effort of a picture. Mike

Alexander Stöhr

Thanks Mike,
then: I am in the Common WT-camp but happy to be corrected!

And I am so unsure, with the Curlew/Whimbrel, but I think, that people with very extensive and recent experience can ID this bird ith confidence. Did the bird call, when it flew off?

THE_FERN

Common whitethroat for me. Expect lesser to be darker.

Probably a curlew for the last. Without certainty, but long legs and patterning suggest it to me. If photos are recent then more likely this I think.

Mike Beer

Thanks Mike,
then: I am in the Common WT-camp but happy to be corrected!

And I am so unsure, with the Curlew/Whimbrel, but I think, that people with very extensive and recent experience can ID this bird ith confidence. Did the bird call, when it flew off?
Sorry for the late reply but I had used all my data on my phone and the camp site I was staying on had no WiFi. I did not hear any call when the bird flew I probably frightened it away by swearing quite loud when I saw I had cut its head off.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread