• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iguacu - Brazil side (1 Viewer)

Birdingam

Hi

I'm going to Iguacu in November next year and will be based on the Brazilian side, hotel all paid for etc. I am looking for a guide who can take me for a days birding only on the Brazilian side if possible so as to maximize time in the field without worrying about and waiting for border crossings.

Can anyone suggest a suitable contact please. Thanks

Hi, I've just been to both sides and would strongly recommend to visit the Argentinian side as well (even make that your main focus). The Brazilian side of the falls is a bit of a tourist circus - there is only one (short & crowded) trail you can walk on your own (I saw only a handful of common species there), otherwise you walk along the main road with open-topped buses full of cheering tourists passing every 2 minutes. If you're staying inside the park itself it gets nice and quiet before and after opening times I guess. There are a couple of trails with presumably decent birding, but you have to hire a guide at the NP and I've read very mixed reports about those trips.
On the other side, the Argentinian NP is much more accessible for birders (Macuco trail is fantastic and relatively quiet) and a doddle to get to. There are scheduled buses during the day to/from the border, or you could take a cab early in the morning. I arranged one to get from my hotel on the Brazilian side to the Argentinian NP and it took only half an hour, plus 5 min at the border. The park doesn't open until 8 a.m. so you have plenty of time to get there, and early in the morning the border crossing is pretty much empty.

Hope this helps :)

Agree with Nohatch....don't let the border crossing impinge your opportunity to view from the Argentinian side (if you have a day spare in your itinerary). It's a relatively speedy process as these things go...we did it four times. Apart from the birding, you get the chance to go on the boardwalk out to the top of the falls...spectacular!

In Iguacu national parc area of brasil offered some people tours from 100 US$ up.
They told they use birds voice to lure the birds for watching.
I rather search birds on normal natural way.

I would also propose the iguacu area of Argentina or better the area nearby.
Parc Proviciales Urugai is very interesting.
Ask Guy Cox in Argentine Forum for information.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/coxguy

No idea if he would also do some tours in Brasil ?

Thank you everyone for you valuable comments, it is most appreciated. I will certainly make a day spare in my itinerary for birding so it looks like a trip to the Argentinian side seems the ideal scenario. Thanks everyone again.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back