• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm so pretty! Guess who I am? LV, NV (1 Viewer)

LzyPhotographer

Greetings from Las Vegas, NV!

This bird landed on a bush near my car, so I was able to get some nice shots. But no amount of coaxing (ie: pleading) would get it to turn around and face me completely.

I think I see some stripes on the upper chest, tho not enough to tell me anything. Also, the head seems to have a creamy, almost orange, color on it.

I'd guess something like a Savannah and a Lincoln's. How close am I?

Pics are in this gallery - it's the bird from Gilcrease Orchard
http://www.lazyphotographer.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=82

Pics are cropped and slightly focus adjusted - no contrast or color changes.

Hello M. J.

If I´m right -which I think I am, you are very close in your suggestion, Savannah Sparrow, perhaps ssp nevadensis. Short or no primary projection and short tail is evident.
Some lack the yellow foresupercilium - also called supraloral area.

JanJ

I'd say Savannah, for some reason it doesn't look grey enough at the sides of the neck for Lincoln's but it's been a few years since I saw one.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back