• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm Thinking Buzzard (1 Viewer)

Chkm8

Bit too far away to be sure and as a general appreciater of wildlife and the countryside rather than specifiacally knowledgable on birds I am hoping you guys can confirm for me.
I spotted the bird hunting along the waters edge among the marsh ground beside Lough Neagh N.Ireland.

Attachments

• Buzzard2056.jpg
    Buzzard2056.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Buzzard2060.jpg
    Buzzard2060.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 227
  • Buzzard2065.jpg
    Buzzard2065.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 228
Thanks everyone for confirming it. Thought I was right but was a fair distance away and no expert on birds. I was brought up in the countryside but moved to town due to work and have been there for about 15yrs untill a recent move back to the country and some peace and quiet. Where I am now living has an abundance of birds of prey and other wildlife so am trying to start identifying them all.

John.

Good photos- birds of prey are usually difficult to approach!

Whereabouts at Lough Neagh was this? I regularly see buzzards at Oxford Island and Portmore Lough- they're magnificent birds if you get a good view!

Lough Neagh

s. james said:

Whereabouts at Lough Neagh was this? I regularly see buzzards at Oxford Island and Portmore Lough- they're magnificent birds if you get a good view!
I live about 5 miles West of Oxford Island and about 500yds from the shore of the lough so this was within walking distance. There is hawks regularly hunting along the hedgerows beside the house and we have loads of geese at the moment. Not to mention wild phesant hares deer etc. I bought a boat recently and am at Kinnego Marina beside Oxford Island regularly and plan a trip to bird island later in the year.

John.

Lurgan

s. james said:

re-read yor post and just noticed your from Lurgan I live in Derrytrasna just down the road from you. No expert on bids just appreciate the countryside and dabble in photography.

Buzzard pair ?

I went back for another look to see if I could spot the buzzard. Saw 2 this time which are possibly a pair. Picture in your local patch / N.Ireland if anyone wants a look and can confirm if it is a pair or not.
Not a bad morning out altogether with whooper swans,mute swans, geese (not sure which variety) buzzards and numerous song birds.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back