• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Image 'pop' (1 Viewer)

mfunnell

Registered Confuser
I'm now in the market for another pair of alphas, and it's why I'm also considering an FL, because out of the few alphas I've owned, that's the one that left the greatest impression on me. But I suspect it may simply be a strong case of nostalgia, or that it was my first debut into the world of modern glass.
Not having looked through any 10x32 FLs like the ones you once had, I can't comment directly. But I can assure you my 8x32 FLs are great, as are my 10x56 FLs. While I've not looked through the latest and greatest Noctivids nor Swaros, I'd wager that FLs can still hold their own near to (if no longer quite at) the top of the optical tree.

...Mike

NZbinodude

Not having looked through any 10x32 FLs like the ones you once had, I can't comment directly. But I can assure you my 8x32 FLs are great, as are my 10x56 FLs. While I've not looked through the latest and greatest Noctivids nor Swaros, I'd wager that FLs can still hold their own near to (if no longer quite at) the top of the optical tree.

...Mike

Hi Mike,

I'd really like to have a gander through a pair of Noctivids, the new NL Pure. and perhaps some SF's too.

I think it's finally starting to 'click'. That is - no one binocular will do it all. I might just have to save my pennies and start collecting the bloody things. :)

mfunnell

Registered Confuser
That is - no one binocular will do it all.

That is true. But you can come pretty close. If it came right down to it I could probably be pretty happy doing 90% plus of everything I wanted to with just my 8x32 FLs.

But then, there's that other 10% (which I'm probably over-estimating) and also the desire to have just exactly the right tool for a task which comes to hand or to mind. Which leads inexorably to:
I might just have to save my pennies and start collecting the bloody things. :)
It's where I seem to have landed, anyway.

...Mike

[email protected]

Supporter
Actually the FL 10x32 does have a flat field, which is one of the reasons I like mine. I don't think Zeiss has ever said that the 10x32 FL has a field flattener, but it was argued on this forum that most likely it has one, unlike other FL models. The "pop" effect mentioned by the OP might in fact be due to the flat field of the 10x32.
I asked Zeiss if the Zeiss FL 10x32 had a flat field or not because it seems strange to me that the rest of the FL would not have flat field and just one model the FL 10x32 would have flat field. I think this is some misinformation that has propagated on Bird Forum probably started by one person. Zeiss said the FL 10x32 is NOT flat field. Here is their response to my question.

"Thank you for your inquiry to ZEISS.

The ZEISS Victory FL binoculars have the field curvature typical for all observation instruments. Thus, when "scanning" the landscape, the image does neither "pump" nor show any globe effect. This is different to all binoculars using field flatteners, like our Victory SF binoculars: nicer for digiscoping, but a bit "nervous" when "scanning". For this reason, none of them has a completely flattened image, but still a certain amount of curvature. Completely flattened, as done with our Planar camera lenses more than 100 years ago, binoculars simply would cause headache.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards,
Klaus Felgenhauer

Dipl.-Ing. Klaus Felgenhauer
Leiter Trainingsakademie
ZEISS Consumer Products

Carl Zeiss AG
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22
73447 Oberkochen, Deutschland

PeterPS

"Thank you for your inquiry to ZEISS.

The ZEISS Victory FL binoculars have the field curvature typical for all observation instruments. Thus, when "scanning" the landscape, the image does neither "pump" nor show any globe effect. This is different to all binoculars using field flatteners, like our Victory SF binoculars: nicer for digiscoping, but a bit "nervous" when "scanning". For this reason, none of them has a completely flattened image, but still a certain amount of curvature. Completely flattened, as done with our Planar camera lenses more than 100 years ago, binoculars simply would cause headache.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards,
Klaus Felgenhauer

Dipl.-Ing. Klaus Felgenhauer
Leiter Trainingsakademie
ZEISS Consumer Products

Carl Zeiss AG
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22
73447 Oberkochen, Deutschland

We must trust Klaus, but it's a bit surprising that he suggested that field curvature was needed to prevent the globe effect, which is not the case.

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

I am uncertain about "nervous" binocular views. I understand unfriendly and taxing views. Does Mr. Felgenhauer mean that the viewer becomes nervous?

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

Kammerdiner

Good lord, after 10 years using the SV's I should have gotten a headache by now!

I'll keep trying.

Keep birding,
Mark

eronald

Hello,

I am uncertain about "nervous" binocular views. I understand unfriendly and taxing views. Does Mr. Felgenhauer mean that the viewer becomes nervous?

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

Nervous binoculars are used by helpful neighbours to watch suspicious individuals.
Taxing views are those offered by the "Dienstglas" of a customs agent.
Unfriendly views occur when Zeiss owners read up on the NL on this forum.

Edmund

Last edited:

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Image 'pop' sounds unnatural and cartoon-like, to me. I prefer the view to be more like what I see with my eyes but magnified. I hope that doesn't sound critical of those who like the 'pop', let's all enjoy binos in our own way.

Lee

eronald

Image 'pop' sounds unnatural and cartoon-like, to me. I prefer the view to be more like what I see with my eyes but magnified. I hope that doesn't sound critical of those who like the 'pop', let's all enjoy binos in our own way.

Lee

Summary:
Pop likes no pop!

Edmund

Users who are viewing this thread