• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature African Goshawk? - Oromiya, Ethiopia (1 Viewer)

JSmolders

Date: Nov. 10, 2018 - 1:30pm
Location: Tree on hillside outside of Chingi (close to Nekemt, Western Oromiya, Ethiopia)

Is this an immature African Goshawk? I am going mainly on the pattern of the breast feathers here: vertical on the chest then horizontal on the belly. Dark eye, yellow cere, yellow feet all match too... but yellow eye-ring is not obvious or possibly missing.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• goshawk_african IM.jpg
    goshawk_african IM.jpg
    738.1 KB · Views: 27
I think it is a juvenile of unduliventer, a sub-species of African Goshawk for some, a sub-species of Red-chested Goshawk for others or even a separate species. I didn't find any description of the juvenile of that taxon, but I would not be surprised if it didn't match entirely the description of juveniles of tachiro or toussenelii.

Thank you, very helpful. Your comment prompted me to read some of the discussion on the unduliventer subspecies at www.hbw.com. I think eBird must classify it as a subspecies of A. tachiro since there are no records of A. toussenelli anywhere close to Ethiopia. HBW said that once some SW Ethiopian specimens were proposed as a new race croizati, but now that is considered to be the same as unduliventer

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back