• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature Coucal ID help, Hainan, China (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

I apologize for the quality of these pictures but I was hoping I could place this as an immature Lesser Coucal over an immature Greater Coucal. I think the brown head makes this pretty clear cut, correct?

As long as we are on the topic of these two species, I'm also wondering if anyone has any advice on identifying the adults from a distance.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• lesser coucal.jpg
    lesser coucal.jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 27
  • lesser coucal 2.jpg
    lesser coucal 2.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 16
  • lesser coucal 3.jpg
    lesser coucal 3.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 16
  • lesser coucal 4.jpg
    lesser coucal 4.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 14
I'd say you're right about Lesser Coucal on this bird, given the shade of brown and also it seems to be streaked.

Beware that some juvenile Greaters can be fairly brown, but that is usually due to brown tips to black feathers so overall they appear darker than this, and are also a more reddish-chestnut tone rather than the straw colour on this bird. For example: http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=31863&Bird_ID=462&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

What I am less confident about is ageing this bird. Adult and First winter Lesser have a streaked brown winter plumage, very different from the summer adults. I think your bird is in this plumage, so could only be aged if you can see barred juvenile flight feathers.

For separating Lesser and Greater at distance, that's easy at this time of year when they have very different plumage. In summer, I usually look for streaking on the mantle/wings of Lesser, which is visible at quite a long distance. The upperparts of Lesser also look a shade paler, perhaps due to the streaking. Lesser tends to look slightly shorter-tailed and smaller-billed, but that can be hard to judge.
Habitat is also useful, at least in HK - Greater occur anywhere, but usually where there is lots of shrubby vegetation. Lesser mostly occurs in grassland or grassy marshes without many shrubs. There is some overlap though, so don't rely solely on this.

I was going mostly on the apparent size and structure, especially the bill shape and size, but I agree with you that the bird seems to show white streaks in one or two images. It doesn't appear to be a barred juvenile anyway.

I'd say you're right about Lesser Coucal on this bird, given the shade of brown and also it seems to be streaked.

Beware that some juvenile Greaters can be fairly brown, but that is usually due to brown tips to black feathers so overall they appear darker than this, and are also a more reddish-chestnut tone rather than the straw colour on this bird. For example: http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=31863&Bird_ID=462&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

What I am less confident about is ageing this bird. Adult and First winter Lesser have a streaked brown winter plumage, very different from the summer adults. I think your bird is in this plumage, so could only be aged if you can see barred juvenile flight feathers.

For separating Lesser and Greater at distance, that's easy at this time of year when they have very different plumage. In summer, I usually look for streaking on the mantle/wings of Lesser, which is visible at quite a long distance. The upperparts of Lesser also look a shade paler, perhaps due to the streaking. Lesser tends to look slightly shorter-tailed and smaller-billed, but that can be hard to judge.
Habitat is also useful, at least in HK - Greater occur anywhere, but usually where there is lots of shrubby vegetation. Lesser mostly occurs in grassland or grassy marshes without many shrubs. There is some overlap though, so don't rely solely on this.

Excellent, thanks for the detailed description! I had a feeling that I was mostly seeing Greater but your description of habitat helps confirm this. This is certainly the first Lesser I have seen in its winter plumage. As always, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to help.

Cheers,

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back