• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature Eagle, Virginia, USA 12.6.20 (2 Viewers)

mtn

... winging it ....
Wish I'd given it proper attention when I first saw it, just assumed it was a TV sunning itself in the am. Had my morning coffee and it was still sitting there so I looked closer and realized it was an eagle... So I ran upstairs to grab the scope which had the fixed 24x eyepiece in it, ran back downstairs, set up tripod and scope in my kitchen (ugh, dirty window!) and just managed this handheld shot with my phone before it flew. Beak looks like an eagle to me, I assumed it was a juvenile Bald Eagle but thought I'd verify here.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Edit; should mention, the Merlin map shows "non-breeding" Bald Eagles where I live (Southwest Virginia) and "migrating" Golden Eagles but "non-breeding" Golden Eagles not too far on either side of me... Not sure that helps...

IMG_20201206_083830.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to tell in this image.
Yeah, wish I'd cleaned that kitchen window!

Seriously though, it was a bit of a tough shot and I didn't even think to post it here because of the poor quality but some folks here are much more skilled in ID than me so I figured someone may have an insight.

Cheers

Seriously though, it was a bit of a tough shot and I didn't even think to post it here because of the poor quality but some folks here are much more skilled in ID than me so I figured someone may have an insight.

No worries. We all run into this problem at times ;)

I
Wish I'd given it proper attention when I first saw it, just assumed it was a TV sunning itself in the am. Had my morning coffee and it was still sitting there so I looked closer and realized it was an eagle... So I ran upstairs to grab the scope which had the fixed 24x eyepiece in it, ran back downstairs, set up tripod and scope in my kitchen (ugh, dirty window!) and just managed this handheld shot with my phone before it flew
I think this is one of the funniest examples of laid back ’backyard birdwatching’ that I‘ve seen for a long time! 😂

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back