• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature female sparrowhawk ? (1 Viewer)

COLG

Could anyone please tell me if this is an immature female sparrowhawk ?

Attachments

• hawk3.jpg
    hawk3.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 173
  • sprawk.jpg
    sprawk.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 155
Definitely a 2cy bird. This rufous heart shaped pattern seems to be more common on males but females can also look like this. Size is really the only certain feature (which can be hard enough to determine).

I agree with Ola, looks like a 2cy bird, and I'd guess female. But without any idea of size, it's only guessing the gender.

Sparrowhawks (all BsOP) don't moult to adult plumage until their second year, and without the classic adult plumage, are very difficult to sex from pictures.

According to this book i have, It's Female as looking at the pictures the male does not have the white stripe above the eye...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back