• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

immature hawk (1 Viewer)

Jmacmetro

Hi all, someone sent me these pics for hawk id. I think it's an immature red-tail but another opinion is an immature red shoulder. It could be. opinions please. thanks, Jim

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 0-1.jpg
    0-1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 41
The belly pattern has no hint of the usual "belly band" you expect on a red-tail.

The wings are quite weakly banded, not the checkerboard that's usually visible even in a juvenile red-shouldered (though this is not an angle I'm used to seeing -- and I'm very impressed that the photographer got this shot).

I'm going to suggest "neither of the above" and propose that it's a juvenile broad-winged hawk instead.

Thanks nartreb, I did consider that, but it would be quite unusal in Teaneck NJ at this time of year, but anything is possible.

Red-shouldered for me. I think the breast streaking is too even and narrow for a Broad-winged and the translucent crescents near the wingtips can be seen in the first photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back