• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Importance of EVF for Superzoom Point and Shoot? (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

I'm preparing to buy a new superzoom point and shoot, upgrading from a long-used and beat-up Panasonic DMC-ZS5 (12x optical zoom). I've pretty much determined that I want a pocketable camera that is small enough that my increasingly-interested-in-birding son can handle easily, and which will be able to take decent record or ID shots of birds. My budget is somewhat limited, perhaps up to around $400 USD. I'm living in Asia, so the model availability is a bit different to those in Europe or the US.

I live in a very bright, generally sunny place, and though I've not had experience using an external viewfinder before, from reading a lot of posts here, some people seem to feel that is very important, especially in bright light. What I'm seeing is that the price difference between something like a Sony HX90 (with EVF) and an older Sony HX50 or HX60 (without EVF) is significant, as in almost twice the cost. The other features seem to be not super significant for me, at least from what I understand. Any additional input about the benefits of EVF would be appreciated! It seems like it would be useful, but just love to have more input either way.

Also, I'd love any additional thoughts on pros/cons of these models which are currently the ones I'm seeing available and in my price range (or on similar models that might be better): Sony HX90v/HX50, Panasonic Zs80GK (pushing price range for me) or older ZS. Canon SX720 or SX740.

Again, I'm looking for a pocketable p&S with minimum 30X optical zoom.

Thanks!

Two advantages of having an EVF:
*Ability to see what the camera is pointing at even if the sun is strong and slightly from behind
*Improved ability to hold the camera steady with long zoom, and greater ease of finding the bird in that situation. This second part is because the near part of the camera is fixed relative to the eye/face, and the support of the same.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back