• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (2 Viewers)

Boldon Flats 1000-1120.
1 Grey Heron, 73 Greylag Geese in the field off blue house lane, c50 Wigeon, c100 Teal, 14 Mallard, 7 Tufted Duck, f Goldeneye, Peregrine flew east over the flats at 1120 and proberly the same bird flew north over sunderland road/moor lane area towards cleadon at 1140, 1 Coot, 4 Moorhen.

Met up with a few pals and had a visit to the Lea's in the hope of SEO's and Snow Buntings as a couple of them had dipped so far..
No luck and we didn't really hang around looking as the wind in off the sea was bitter :-O
Had about an hour photographing the Fulmar's which was a bit of a challenge based on the really rough sea's and lack of contrast between the birds and colour of the water..
Nice to see the Kestrel still hunting the same area as the SEO's have been using and also had a few Reed Bunting, Skylark, Kittiwake, GBB Gull, Herring Gull, Fulmar, Jackdaw & Pigeons..

Couple of photo's from this morning..

Attachments

• 2013-02-07-16159-DSC_7379-2.jpg
    2013-02-07-16159-DSC_7379-2.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2013-02-07-16243-DSC_7471.jpg
    2013-02-07-16243-DSC_7471.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 27
  • 2013-02-07-16272-DSC_7500.jpg
    2013-02-07-16272-DSC_7500.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 2013-02-07-16323-DSC_7551.jpg
    2013-02-07-16323-DSC_7551.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 2013-02-07-16370-DSC_7621.jpg
    2013-02-07-16370-DSC_7621.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 25
I'd like to get permission to erect a pop up hide for photography on some unused grassland around the West Pastures / Follingsbury Lane area.

Does anyone know how to find out which fields belong to which farmers? Or is it a case of just knocking on doors and asking?

Boldon Flats WeBS count: 2 Mute Swan, 3 Cormorant over, 72 Greylag, 18 Mallard, 22 Teal, 58 Wigeon, 2 Heron, 3 Moorhen, 5 Snipe, 1 Jack Snipe, c30 Golden Plover over, 206 Herring Gull including bird with red darvic ring on right let with JJ4T, 5 Great black-backed Gull, 21 Black-headed Gull, 11 Common Gull.

Boldon Flats WeBS count: 2 Mute Swan, 3 Cormorant over, 72 Greylag, 18 Mallard, 22 Teal, 58 Wigeon, 2 Heron, 3 Moorhen, 5 Snipe, 1 Jack Snipe, c30 Golden Plover over, 206 Herring Gull including bird with red darvic ring on right let with JJ4T, 5 Great black-backed Gull, 21 Black-headed Gull, 11 Common Gull.

Also an adult Med Gull bathing at the Flats on Sunday morning (with two more 3CY Meds at Whitburn and a juv Glauc, so a good morning for gulls).

Mark

I'd like to get permission to erect a pop up hide for photography on some unused grassland around the West Pastures / Follingsbury Lane area.

Does anyone know how to find out which fields belong to which farmers? Or is it a case of just knocking on doors and asking?

Costs 3 quid though:
http://eservices.landregistry.gov.u...BTZWFyY2guZG8!/#Z7_32841142H83670I5FG31T538V4
Zoom right in & use the smallest radius.

How much petrol would you burn up knocking on doors?

Walking towards colliery woods from boldon school
Excellent view of two SEOs just flying about ,
May spend more time there tommorow weather pending

There have been a couple of shorties in this area most of the winter, regularly reported by Stuart. This is a relatively new site for them as the rough wet area continues to grow. The area is regularly disturbed by dog walkers but as on The Leas, they are very tolerant to disturbance unlike Long-eared Owls which are very difficult to see these days.

I had a shorty hunting just north of the mound this morning, the first one I've seen on the Leas for a while, although I've spotted one hunting the grass verge in front of the Lime Kilns at Whitburn a few times lately. I also had 7 Snow Buntings still kicking about at Frenchmans Point. Female Blackcap also spotted at the feeding station at Westoe cemetery this week.

Went up to the Boldon Lad after I saw the message but dipped on the Waxwings :( Headed over to West Pastures but it was very quiet - Yellowhammer, Robin, Long tailed Tit and very little else although did see a buzzard land in the fields just off the A19 while driving back.

Female Common Scoter on Boldon Flats mid-afternoon. This constitutes the second record for the Flats, the other being a flyover c30 years ago. Report of Eagle Owl flying over Moor Lane this evening towards Poppys Pond.

A good walk today from South Shields to Marsden then across the Cleadon Hills to Whitburn and back along the coast to Marsden. No sign of any Little Owls on the Leas but did get excellent views of a flock of 8 Snow Buntings before they were chased off by a dog!!!. Also a Rock Pipit, Skylarks and Meadow Pipits on the top of the Leas and a close in Red Throated Diver off shore as well as all the usual suspects. On the hills 3 very tame Kestrels, a flock of Yellowhammer and a pair of Reed Buntings. Fairly quiet coming back up the coast with the tide right out but a Sparrowhawk did fly past Souter lighthouse heading south.

West Pastures this evening saw Saker Falcon with blue ring on right leg, feeding from pylon consuming a vole on at least one occasion. Also Short-eared Owl with juvenile, 3-4 Buzzard including juvenile, dozen plus Kestrel and Greenshank.

Interesting reading the latest Birdwatch magazine. Saker Falcon as a possible vagrant is highlighted.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back