• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In AND around Sunderland (1 Viewer)

timber beach,1050-1200.
cormorant
1 grey heron
2prs shelduck
oystercatcher calling
3 curlew
2 redshank
first common sandpiper of the spring
lbb gull
herring gull
woodpigeon
wren
dunnock
blackbird
3 blackcap
first lesser whitethroat of the spring singing
2 whitethroat
3 willow warbler
2 chiffchaff
blue tit
great tit
magpie
jackdaw
carrion crow
greenfinch
goldfinch
2 linnet
bullfinch

Went down to Teeside today plenty of Avocets and my first LR Plover of the year. Dormans had Grasshopper and Sedge Warbler, Whitethroats and we heard a Cetti's Warbler and after 10mins or so were lucky enough to see it flying between bushes also Reed Warbler heard but not seen and another Cetti's heard.
Called into Hurworth Burn Res. saw 2 Yellow Wagtails there and 5 Gadwall.

Attachments

• tn_002.JPG
    tn_002.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 27
  • tn_011.JPG
    tn_011.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 18
  • tn_017.JPG
    tn_017.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 17
  • tn_023.JPG
    tn_023.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 25
looks like a honey buzzard to me. However am not raptor expert. Perhaps the head is too small for hb?

My gut reactions was buzzard over harrier. Although tbh ive never seen a harrier from below.

edit....ok looked hard at the pic, the face does look pale, against a dark body. So it does look like female marsh harrier. Ive3 never seen a harrier more than 20ft off the ground, so most of themi have seen from the side or from avove, think ive seen all hunting birds with v wings and non migrating.

Last edited:
I'm exactly the same i've only seen them before doing typical Harrier flight,V shape wings low to the ground etc which is what confused me at first but i think there's just about enough detail in the photo's to confirm it as Marsh Harrier even if it was doing a good Buzzard impression.

I'm exactly the same i've only seen them before doing typical Harrier flight,V shape wings low to the ground etc which is what confused me at first but i think there's just about enough detail in the photo's to confirm it as Marsh Harrier even if it was doing a good Buzzard impression.

without doubt a cc Marsh Harrier Adam.
same date as one which went through RMs last year.

lesser whitethroat singing off queens road southwick at 0625.

timber beach 0650-0750.
cormorant
1 grey heron
3 mallard flew onto the river from the north
herring gull
lbb gull
woodpigeon
wren
dunnock
robin
blackbird
song thrush
3 blackcap
1-2 whitethroat
3 willow warbler
1 chiffchaff
blue tit
great tit
magpie
carrion crow
m chaffinch
greenfinch
goldfinch
m bullfinch

wessington way to queens road,southwick 0750-0815.
herring gull
woodpigeon
wren
dunnock
blackbird
4 blackcap
1 willow warbler
2 chiffchaff
blue tit
great tit
greenfinch
goldfinch
m bullfinch

Had a look round Acad pools this afternoon and glad i did, i was pleased enough with finding 2 whinchats but whilst watching them a Corn Bunting popped upon the other side of the fence a bit gutted it flew off before i could get a photo but delighted to see it the first i've seen in years. Also in the area were at least half a dozen Wheatears and 3 Sedge warblers and 5 Whitethroats.

Attachments

• tn_013.JPG
    tn_013.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 25
  • tn_015.JPG
    tn_015.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 25
  • tn_016.JPG
    tn_016.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 38
  • tn_017.JPG
    tn_017.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 36
  • tn_018.JPG
    tn_018.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 37
Had a look round Acad pools this afternoon and glad i did, i was pleased enough with finding 2 whinchats but whilst watching them a Corn Bunting popped upon the other side of the fence a bit gutted it flew off before i could get a photo but delighted to see it the first i've seen in years. Also in the area were at least half a dozen Wheatears and 3 Sedge warblers and 5 Whitethroats.

Hi Adam,

I didn't do my daily walk to the academy pools today, looks like I missed a bonanza. Where exactly was the Corn Bunting and which way did it go?

Chris, Yes Acad pools is in that area near the academy and moor lane,its really the whole area between Moor lane and the back of Monkwearmouth school east of the academy and west of the cemetary.

Paul, The Corn Bunting was along the fence that runs through the middle from the north east corner of the pools just to the east of the football pitches it flew into the edge of the long grass right in the north east corner of the young trees/mown grass area. The Whinchats were along the same fence but flew to the west and were later seen along the west path that runs right past the academy.

Corn Bunting

Chris, Yes Acad pools is in that area near the academy and moor lane,its really the whole area between Moor lane and the back of Monkwearmouth school east of the academy and west of the cemetary.

Paul, The Corn Bunting was along the fence that runs through the middle from the north east corner of the pools just to the east of the football pitches it flew into the edge of the long grass right in the north east corner of the young trees/mown grass area. The Whinchats were along the same fence but flew to the west and were later seen along the west path that runs right past the academy.

Thanks Adam,

I had a good look around this morning, but no sign of Corn Bunting or Whinchats. I do remember there was a report of a Corn Bunting in exactly the place you describe last year.
The Sedge Warblers are definately back, probably half a dozen, there's a few Grasshopper Warblers and a few Wheatears were around this morning. I also saw 3 Blackcap this morning, they appear to be quite numerous already this year.

Thats a shame you had no luck Paul, I remember that report of the Corn Bunting there last year. Yesterday the Whinchats in particular seemed very flighty and moved quite a bit while i was there so i wasnt really expecting them to hang around.

Had an excellent day in the dales with Martin and Andrew, birds seen included Redstarts,Pied Flycatchers,Wood Warbler,Tree Pipit,Ring Ouzel and Cuckoo. Called into Rainton on the way back and saw my first Reed Warblers of the year.

Attachments

• tn_003.JPG
    tn_003.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 28
  • tn_006.JPG
    tn_006.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 24
  • tn_012.JPG
    tn_012.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 29
  • tn_018.JPG
    tn_018.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 31
  • tn_022.JPG
    tn_022.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 39
Thats a shame you had no luck Paul, I remember that report of the Corn Bunting there last year. Yesterday the Whinchats in particular seemed very flighty and moved quite a bit while i was there so i wasnt really expecting them to hang around.

On my second visit of the day today, managed to see a single Whinchat this afternoon. It flew from the pitches, to the north-east fence/plantation, stayed for a few minutes and then flew off. There also must have been a dozen Wheatear around. Also a Yellow Wagtail feeding on the edge of the reservoir pond.

hi adam
i'm thinking of visiting the academy pools shortly,as i'v never been there before ,i was just wondering,if you can just walk in or do you need some sort of pass,because i understand there is security on the gates.

lesser whitethroat and chiffchaff singing from southwick road west at 0730.

timber beach 0810-0915.
2prs shelduck
mallard flew SE
pr oystercatcher
3 curlew
herring gull
first common terns of the spring with 2 flying E and 4 together off claxheugh rock
woodpigeon
wren
dunnock
robin
blackbird
3 blackcap
1 lesser whitethroat
3 whitethroat
2 willow warbler
3 chiffchaff
blue tit
great tit
jackdaw
carrion crow
m chaffinch
greenfinch
bullfinch

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back