• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In your opinion, the best looking binoculars are.... (1 Viewer)

Are the edges blurry on those Bar-noculars?
The barnoculars are blurry both off and on axis, and you get dizzy when you "use" them (due to the globe effect...). The idea is not new, there was another "barnocular" example on the BF a few years ago but probably not as funny as this one.

A bit off topic, but one of the funniest post that I have seen on the BF was the one below (I hope Bob=ceasar will smile again when he sees it):
"Hey, Sarge, this is the guy I was tellin' you about, calls himself ceasar, who I picked up after a complaint from the blonde across the street who was out washing her car in a bikini. He reckons all he was looking at were the tires on the car. When I asked him why he needed to do that with three binoculars, he gave me some baloney about checking if the car tires really were black or just a charcoal grey. Yeah, obviously some kind of nut. Okay, I'll book 'im on a 509, vagrancy with intent. No, he's not wearing a toga, but he keeps mumbling about going to the Forum to announce Edie Gee. Who's she? Beats me!"

A bit off topic, but one of the funniest post that I have seen on the BF was the one below (I hope Bob=ceasar will smile again when he sees it):
"Hey, Sarge, this is the guy I was tellin' you about, calls himself ceasar, who I picked up after a complaint from the blonde across the street who was out washing her car in a bikini. He reckons all he was looking at were the tires on the car. When I asked him why he needed to do that with three binoculars, he gave me some baloney about checking if the car tires really were black or just a charcoal grey. Yeah, obviously some kind of nut. Okay, I'll book 'im on a 509, vagrancy with intent. No, he's not wearing a toga, but he keeps mumbling about going to the Forum to announce Edie Gee. Who's she? Beats me!"

Well, it wasn't me for sure!

He wasn't smart enough to use the correct spelling of Caesar:eek!: or he would have gotten away with it; but that is probably asking a lot of the policeman. ;)

As to the handsomest, best looking binocular? It is hands down the Leica 8x42 Blackline!

It is the "tuxedo" of binoculars:king: The only one you wear while you use it.:t:

https://www.sportoptics.com/leica-u...MIl4OWmvvj6wIVgZ-zCh1ung7wEAQYASABEgLOnPD_BwE

Like it says! Classic and Elegant!

Bob

Last edited:
Well, another vote for Leica overall. I only have the little 8x20 Ultravid, but that's cool enough for James Bond. If the 8x32 Ultravid had better eyerelief, I'd own that one!

I also get a kick out of the little bulldog, the Zeiss 8x32 FL. It sits really nice in the hand.

The new NL is seriously good looking too, although I haven't seen one in person.

The new NL is seriously good looking too, although I haven't seen one in person.

Mark, I know binos are so good these days that sometimes it seems they can talk, but, actually, they aren't really people, so you can't meet them in person.

Lee
Sorry Mark, I got carried away by the spirit of the Barnoculars posts........

I began to notice I feel more for the firm chubby kind of bins like Meostar, bn/ba Trinnies etc than slim stylish newer designs. Don't know, they excude more character and practicality, I think. Maybe like irl (you know...) I theoretically like the slim stylish women best, while I get a crush on firm gals full of character you know will be able to handle life's hardships. Same with bins; the slim open hinge designs...nice, but not as easy to grip tightly and get some bushwacking done with (gheghe). On the other hand, I did meet an NL (12x) "in person" and they did look verrrry nice indeed...überstylish, awesome curves in the right places, tight waste...makes the question rise even more if they'll be able to handle "it all"...

Last edited:
Best looking bino:
20mm - Leica UV 8x20 leather
25mm - Leica UV 10x25
30mm - Swarovski 8x30 Habicht leather or gummi
32mm - Swarovski EL In sandbrown
35mm - Leica 7x35 Retrovid
42mm - Leica Noctivid
50mm - Swarovski EL FP

Of all of these, I like the appearance of the 7x35 Retrovid the most.

Ugliest bino - the Canon 10x42 L-series. But I love mine anyway....

Not enough porros in this thread. I like the looks of these chunky bins, with the long focus barrel and the machined bright metal accents.

Attachments

• HhfXxTL.jpg
    HhfXxTL.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 19
B&L 8x30

Hello,

When it comes to Porro binoculars, this B&L 8x30 non-Zephyr has a basic honesty or authenticity which has been well expressed in the design.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Attachments

• B&L 8x30 front.jpg
    B&L 8x30 front.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 24
Pinewood, can you enlighten us on what the differences are between the Zephyr and non-Zephyr 8x30s? Are the Zephyrs distinguished only by the magnesium shell, or are there optical differences too?

For my money, the nicest looking (and handling) porros are the small ones, 8x30s and similar. The Swift 766 in post #69 is still a very enjoyable binocular to look through, but the big prisms that enabled the wide field of those 7x35s give them a somewhat squat look. (The Sard 6x42, awesome though it is in terms of optical design, has an even more exaggerated squatness - but of course prettiness was not a factor in its design at all.)

The photo in post #69 appears to show the eyepieces turned out a little. This can be done with mine, but I keep them firmly turned down - the eye relief of this model is so short that I have to bring them right up to my eyes, and I also find the way the eyecups fit to the eyepieces somewhat less than confidence-inspiring (ahem), which you really notice given that the general build quality of this binocular is very good. The twist-out eyecups, later perfected in things like the Leica BAs, are a great concept, but unnecessary in a binocular with such short eye relief.

Whatever I say, there’s likely to be some Leica model or other - perhaps from their Silverline series - perhaps covered with the skin of some endangered South American reptile - perhaps made from beautifully machined unobtanium - that looks better. And so it should, for the no-doubt stratospheric price.

...Mike

...A bit like these, maybe?

Attachments

• 20190615_061907.jpg
    20190615_061907.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Pinewood, can you enlighten us on what the differences are between the Zephyr and non-Zephyr 8x30s? Are the Zephyrs distinguished only by the magnesium shell, or are there optical differences too?

Hello Patudo,

Bausch & Lomb had a very long history in optics before they devoted themselves to ophthalmic products: photographic lenses, telescopes, microscopes and binoculars. At the beginning of the twentieth century, the firm licensed technology from Zeiss, when American tariffs were very high. Some of the company's early binoculars were marked and B&L Zeiss.

In about 1935 the B&L binoculars had a new look, like mine. Then in 1940, the Zephyr line appeared with the magnesium shell. Although the catalogues indicated identical fields of view, there were some differences. I have a non-Zephyr and a Zephyr 7x35 with the former having a slightly larger FOV. Oddly, the Zephyr models made in Japan had the same FOV as the older pre-Zephyr models. This suggests that older moulds and dies were being used. So there may have more differences under the bonnet.

That Leitz glass is striking. Was it custom? I read somewhere that a fancy Leica camera was a Rolls Royce option. If I recall correctly that Austrian brand once offered Moroccan leather coverings on its binoculars.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

Last edited:
I think this question needs to be divided into Porro and Roof....to me, there is a distinct flavor to both and there are many that really don't like the look of either one 'broad categories'.... So...the best looking Porro and the best looking Roof....

I don't care in the slightest how 'good looking' binoculars might be just that they're ergonomically designed, good to use and optically superb - aesthetics come a very long way behind.
I agree with this.

Mine could be fluorescent, day-glo green with large purple polka dots, as long as they showed me the images they do.

I buy optics to look through, not at.

Whether you think you own a pair of good looking binoculars or not, you should be aware that (some) of the binocular advice given on BF is absolute tripe! Most of it comes from the USA.

Last edited:
My pick :

white.jpg

Cheers
zp*

I like the looks of the Leica trinovid bca , would have bought one if it had a wider fov . For looks it ties the Nikon HG Premier Lx (brown colour)imo . If I had to pick a good looking porro it would be the Nikon E2 8x30 .

Attachments

• shopping (Medium).jpg
    shopping (Medium).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 8
  • 7506_PremierLXL_8x20_front.png
    7506_PremierLXL_8x20_front.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 8
  • nikon_16046_8x30_eii_binocular_1345177 (Medium).jpg
    nikon_16046_8x30_eii_binocular_1345177 (Medium).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back