• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inaccessible Island Rail (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Of all places i read this on Gizmodo.

Thanks for the article, quite interesting!

I thought it was a recurring pattern that birds on islands with no predators lose their ability to fly over the course of evolution, so the journalistic "wrapper" around the ornithological content is a bit odd in my opinion.

And looking at the beautiful picture of the cliffs rising steeply out of the sea, I suspect the island's name was really not chosen for its remote location, but rather because of the difficulty of getting ashore :)

Regards,

Henning

And looking at the beautiful picture of the cliffs rising steeply out of the sea, I suspect the island's name was really not chosen for its remote location, but rather because of the difficulty of getting ashore :)

Regards,

Henning
Having recently looked at the island on Google Earth, I tend to agree.

Great article. This was one of the birds that started my interest in birding. Just the idea of something being so restricted to an obscure offshore island caught my attention I guess. Still hoping that one day I can go and see one!

Let's not forget - Evolution is still just a theory.

Please can anyone advise: is it possible to visit Inaccessible Island and if so how would one get there?

Please can anyone advise: is it possible to visit Inaccessible Island and if so how would one get there?

I'll take the bait. What's your justification of 'just', this merry Christmas Day...?;)
MJB

Wikipedia says: "Tristan da Cunha itself is accessible only by sea via a seven-day sail from Cape Town, South Africa, by landing during the 60 days of the year that the harbor allows for access to the island."

I'm not sure if a private charter is necessary.

Dear birding colleagues
Thank you for your kind inputs re: viewpoints on the origin of life etc. Also in regard to getting to Inaccessible Island: I guess the Inaccessible Island Rail is most likely not going to be ticked by myself at least, until, God willing, I come back in the Resurrection!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back