• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

India, Rajahstan: Warbler and Prinia ID help (1 Viewer)

ugolino

Dear all,
I am confused with this Prinia taken in April in Rajahstan a few years ago. Ist it a Jungle Prinia ?
Ditto with this warbler, but I am completely dry with clues .... any idea ?
Thoughts are welcome. Many thanks in advance, ugolino

Attachments

• Prinia IND 0285.JPG
    Prinia IND 0285.JPG
    581.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Warbler IND 4489.JPG
    Warbler IND 4489.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 61
I would agree with Jungle Prinia, since it seems to have the dark malar spot that they often have.
The warbler is in the Sylvia genus. Not 100% sure, but I think its a 1st winter Eastern Orphean Warbler.

edit: I hadn't seen Andrew's post before I posted. Lesser Whitethroat was my other option for the warbler. Could you explain why it is that, rather than what I thought. I'd love to learn. :)

I would agree with Jungle Prinia, since it seems to have the dark malar spot that they often have.
The warbler is in the Sylvia genus. Not 100% sure, but I think its a 1st winter Eastern Orphean Warbler.

edit: I hadn't seen Andrew's post before I posted. Lesser Whitethroat was my other option for the warbler. Could you explain why it is that, rather than what I thought. I'd love to learn. :)

Sometimes Orphean and Lesser Whitethroat are tricky in photos where the size difference is less obvious. To me this bird looks very dainty though (partly why I suggested minula) and the bill is quite thin. Orphean is a heavier billed and 'rangier' looking bird.

I'd also consider Rufous-fronted for the prinia(?).

Agree with Lesser Whitethroat (s)sp. Location would be helpful for both perhaps. For the Lesser Whitethroat, minula is I think only likely in desert areas in the far west of the state, with taxa still within Lesser Whitethroat more likely in general.

I'd also consider Rufous-fronted for the prinia(?).

Agree with Lesser Whitethroat (s)sp. Location would be helpful for both perhaps. For the Lesser Whitethroat, minula is I think only likely in desert areas in the far west of the state, with taxa still within Lesser Whitethroat more likely in general.

I think it could easily be something like halimodendri - at least if that's likely in the area. It's maybe not sandy enough for minula.

Many thanks to all. Another photo of the Prinia, in case this helps sort out the issue of "Jungle" or "Rufous-fronted.
Ugolino

Attachments

• Jungle Prinia IND 0314.jpg
    Jungle Prinia IND 0314.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 21
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back