• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

INDIGENOUS Communities ARE Better At Preserving Biodiversity, Research Shows (1 Viewer)

The Guidelines are pretty clear -

Birdforum Guidelines - Please read
Welcome to Bird Forum, the friendliest discussion forum on the Internet. Please follow these guidelines to help keep it that way.

Respect other members:
Remember: treat others as you would expect to be treated yourself.

We have members from all around the world; please be sensitive to and respectful of the opinions, religions, traditions and cultures of others. Avoid racial, religious and political comments.

Please do not post messages containing personal attacks. We do encourage healthy debate but not slanging matches. There is a difference between disagreeing with an opinion and a personal attack, so please think before you post. We will remove posts that are abusive, disruptive, or out of context.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=29155

Saying that, I'm not sure how strictly these are being enforced/followed. Too much cr@p on too many threads these days.

Last edited:
The Guidelines are pretty clear -

Respect other members:

In life generally, respect is earned but it can be lost by an individual due to their actions or inactions.

What some people here do not respect and will not tolerate, are the opinions of others that differ from their own, total hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Do you think someone should be called out for misrepresenting their ethnicity? 'Too much crap' according to you maybe but you don't represent the entire mebership.

There is a small but vocal group here who regularly leap on certain issues and this is usually the reason that a thread or comment gets removed. I have my suspicions as to who the serial complainers are and the Birdgirl thread got locked, no doubt due to a members complaint.

A small number of people here have a dispropotinate influence over what can be said and the site owners won't take any chances of accruing liability once any kind of complaint is raised.

Calling someone out on a lie should not be blanket, blocked if there are good grounds for the accusation. There should be genuine reason to close down the debate or remove comments.

That's for Admin/mods to decide - see guidelines above.

Or maybe a poll of members - you are entitled to your opinion, but I suspect it isn't as you see it.

That's for Admin/mods to decide - see guidelines above.

Or maybe a poll of members - you are entitled to your opinion, but I suspect it isn't as you see it.[/QUOTE]

When will you realise that the people doing all the complaining, are a minority, the general election should have been a clue.

I removed all my comments so well done vigilantis, you win again, I feel unable to interact on a level playing field and I'm now out.

Last edited:
Andy - I was going to post on this thread a few days ago along the lines -

'If you don't like a thread (ie this one) just don't read it'.

But didn't get around to it. My initial posting was mainly directed at the kind of posts and insults being bandied around such as regularly appear on the more political threads such as the 'Trumps Inaugural' one in RF. It's the thin end of the wedge and when it spills out such as here it just shows the worst of birdforum and Social Media as a whole.

That you decided to comment on a racial theme is your prerogative and up to you. You see yourself as a victim. I really don't know what to say to that without getting more involved. It ain't personal though. But if you want to come on to Birdforum with an agenda that you wish to discuss racial issues, and think you have every right to - read the guidelines again. It isn't censorship. Maybe you should start a thread on the site noticeboard if you think they are wrong/the subject needs more discussion.

Andy - I was going to post on this thread a few days ago along the lines -

'If you don't like a thread (ie this one) just don't read it'.

But didn't get around to it. My initial posting was mainly directed at the kind of posts and insults being bandied around such as regularly appear on the more political threads such as the 'Trumps Inaugural' one in RF. It's the thin end of the wedge and when it spills out such as here it just shows the worst of birdforum and Social Media as a whole.

That you decided to comment on a racial theme is your prerogative and up to you. You see yourself as a victim. I really don't know what to say to that without getting more involved. It ain't personal though. But if you want to come on to Birdforum with an agenda that you wish to discuss racial issues, and think you have every right to - read the guidelines again. It isn't censorship. Maybe you should start a thread on the site noticeboard if you think they are wrong/the subject needs more discussion.

This is your interpretation and it's wrong, it is you making it a racial issue when it is simply one of misrepresentation.

There are now two, current threads which have valid aspects of concern (misrepresentation and conflict of interest) that people should be able to discuss without fear of being branded racist but both are now effectively shut down for just that, plain wrong.

It's always one of the same, small group who trigger claims of this nature, homophobia, racism, xenophobia, mysogeny etc but this small group seem to wield a disproportionate ammount of influence here. I voluntarily removed myself from Ruffled feathers because of these people and their targeted efforts to shut people down, tell them what they should think and what they are allowed to say. I now have to seriously question my future use of the site which, may ultimately be out of my hands anyway.

Last edited:
I'd like to expand briefly on what I said to Mysticete a few days ago, with regard to Aborigines "... possibly ... having a somewhat different cognitive integration of reality,." I was thinking at the time of the Inuit Eskimos' ability to distinguish many kinds of snow as recorded in the late 1880s by Anthropologist Franz Boas, and as recently discussed in the attached 2013 article by David Robinson.
“All languages find a way to say what they need to say,” says Matthew Sturm, a geophysicist with the Army Corps of Engineer in Alaska. For Sturm, it is the expertise these words contain that is of most interest, rather than the squabble about the number of terms. “These are real words that mean real things,” he says.
Sturm is particularly admiring of Inuit knowledge of the processes that lead to different snow and ice formations, mentioning one elder who “knew as much about snow as I knew after 30 years as a scientist.” In Sturm’s opinion, documenting this knowledge is far more important than finding out exactly how many words for snow there are.
Ed

Attachments

• There really are 50 Eskimo words for ‘snow’.pdf
    75.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I'd like to expand briefly on what I said to Mysticete a few days ago, with regard to Aborigines "... possibly ... having a somewhat different cognitive integration of reality,." I was thinking at the time of the Inuit Eskimos' ability to distinguish many kinds of snow as recorded in the late 1880s by Anthropologist Franz Boas, and as recently discussed in the attached 2013 article by David Robinson.
Ed
Nice Ed - thanks, I have something that expands on that line of thinking which I will post later, but first would like to just touch on money again as I have just read a truly far reaching article to share.

Chosun :gh:

'Big Plastic' is focused on one thing:-
growth and the unfettered profit that comes from it - planet be damned !
Take the time (~10mins) to read it until the end - An important article to get you thinking about the ways of the world .......

https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...X1VhnyEBKXU_DpJyzX8ZBh-apOXGkIqRBtV4e6OB-8S1U

Yes, an interesting and important article, the essence of which comes down to this passage:
The top alternative to burying plastic in a landfill is not
recycling. It’s fire.
Over the past six decades, far more plastic
has been incinerated than collected for reuse. This incinerator,
outside of Oregon’s capital, Salem, is operated by Covanta,
which runs similar waste-to-energy plants on the East Coast
that burn trash for New York and Philadelphia. For months
after China roiled recycling markets in 2018, Philadelphia
tasked Covanta with burning half the city’s “recycling” that had
nowhere else to go.
Roughly a third of the trash is plastic. Households served by this
plant have recently been instructed to toss out hard-to-recycle
plastics (yogurt containers, beer cups — anything with a
recycling number higher than 2), and those items now come
here to burn. When the operator is satisfied with the mix, he
hoists a grapple load to a height of 90 feet and dumps it into the
hopper — fueling the incinerator that generates electricity for
the local grid. The extreme temperature of the burner, 2,000
degrees, creates a near-complete combustion that neutralizes
most toxic compounds in plastic. But incineration returns
plastic to its origins as a fossil fuel, creating carbon pollution
that escapes through a candy-striped smokestack, in a white
wisp that’s visible for miles.

Although I've concluded that CO2 is not a pollutant and good for the planet, I can't deny that it's only a minority opinion. So, good luck humanity in finding a solution.

Ed

The Doomsday Clock is now 100 seconds to midnight

What sort of a nightmare is the world sleepwalking to where the technical ability to create advanced machines of destruction far exceeds the capacity to wage peace ???? ......

"Scientists Believe We’re Closer to the End of the World Than Ever Before"

https://themindunleashed.com/2020/0...rcSkXMwhPVuq1EOUUw3M9LddmgZDTqXj6GG5ICm11duqQ

"We now face a true emergency—an absolutely unacceptable state of world affairs that has eliminated any margin for error or further delay."

The Bulletin declared that “the need for emergency action is urgent.” On the nuclear front, global leaders were urged to reinstate treaties, cut countries’ arsenals, limit modernization programs, and “start talks on cyber warfare, missile defenses, the militarization of space, hypersonic technology, and the elimination of battlefield nuclear weapons.”

Culture and Oral Traditions

This came up earlier in the thread, and whether the questions were genuine or not (at least one person should have known the true facts better) , I will post these interesting articles as partial explanation.

Culture, Landscape, Spirit, and Oral Traditions are inextricably linked - this is how Indigenous people have progressed beyond a schoolyard game of 'Chinese Whispers' or 'Telephone'.

I wonder how many birders would be able to remember a State bird list ?

https://theconversation.com/the-mem...iq03bHdSAou0ZFx9oQ8xNd08UiQ8SJlqbFKbpFdpEw8Ug

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/indigenous-memory-code/7553976#transcript

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back