• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Indipendent birding Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

adam.oscarson

Hi!

Going to Sri Lanka in January to February on a backpacking trip, as part of a longer trip in Asia. I will spend some time birdwatching, but can't afford going with a guide except in same rare occasions. So, any kind of tips or advice on independent birding, good but not too expensive local guides or natural societies to join are warmly welcomed! Tips on stake-outs are highly appreciated! Also, if there are occasions were play-back is needed.

We plan to visit a few places including Kitulgala, Horton plains, Nuwara Eliya and Uda Walawe, but also the Ancient cities (eg Sigiriya) and the south coast.

Best regards,

Adam Oscarson

Dave Williams

I have three trip reports that might give you some ideas. You'll find links in the first and third entries here.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=316835
Bus and trains are very,very cheap so you can get around easily.
I would try and include Bundala and Yala but I still haven't made it to Sinharaja but you could after you have been to Kitulgala.
Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread