• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inezia...? (1 Viewer)

Jacamar

I am getting very confused about the names of the Pale-tipped Tyrannulet, which I have been seeing recently.
My birdbook and my checklist say that the Pale-tipped Tyrannulet is Inezia subflava.
My Sibley-Monroe list says that Inezia subflava is called the Amazonian Inezia.
On infonatura
the Pale-tipped Tyrannulet is call Inezia caudata.
Could someone tell me what the correct name is?

Chris,
It is really just an inezia! (insert chuckle). Your problem is that your book and your checklist reflect the proper treatment of nomenclature and taxonomy of this bird pre-split. It was Pale-tipped Tyrannulet (Inezia subflava) with races obscura, subflava, intermedia and caudata. It has since been split on all major lists including the SM, Clement's, and Howard & Moore. Now you have Amazonian Tyrannulet (Inezia for SM) - Inezia subflava - with races obscura and subflava. This bird does not range near you in Guyana. The remaining split species is Pale-tipped Tyrannulet (Inezia for SM) - Inezia caudata - with races intermedia and caudata. This last bird ranges in Guyana as Inezia caudata caudata. The other race of this one does not range in Guyana. Hope this clears the air a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back