• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info on Bausch and Lomb 10X28 Elites reverse porros. (1 Viewer)

PanamaRic

Panama
I have some 21 years old at least, Bausch and Lomb Elites 10X28s I used then for hiking and bird watching (to find targets when I carry a spotting scope and tripod). I have found few information of the web on them.
Were they nitrogen filled or just water resistant?
Mine are almost like new outside but they are starting to develop some fog in the eyepieces and one eyecup has a small crack. The objetive lenses and the rubber armor look new.
I like the optics, a bit dull and dark due to the small exit pupils but with little or no color aberrations (if fact CA his higher in my Spotting Scope). But the fog problems do worry me.
I have some options.
1 Send then to Bushnell, still have the warranty from B and L.
2 Get a technician to clean them.
3 Sell them and buy a new 8X32.
But I would like to know more about them, specially if they were nitrogen filled.

Wonder if your binocular is the bigger brother of the 7x24 shown about two thirds of the way down this page :
As stated there I do recall that 7x24 was marketed as waterproof. I think whether it was nitrogen filled when new is less relevant than the terms of the guarantee and whether it covered the O-rings and seals sealing the binocular from water ingress for twenty plus years. Reckon as a first step you'll need to check with Bushnell whether they'll do a repair or replace (increasingly common these days) and what costs you'll incur in the process.

Ill contact Bushnell. And yes, they look similar to the 7x24s, almost the same. The images were sharp and free of aberrations, even if a bit dark and dull due to the small pupils. I wonder if anything in the Bushnell current catalog can replace them, since I have no experience with modern Bushnells.

Sure they were top compacts in their day. Not sure any manufacturer or distributer offers a similar reverse Porro model these days. If you feel you need the 10x magnification then perhaps, with the larger exit pupil, this model would represent an upgrade for you :

Thanks, Im going away from the 10X unless is for astro, but Il look into them.
Probably a 8X roof with 30 to 35mm will fill the niche.
This but this Nitros look nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back