• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info Uganda (1 Viewer)

Ignacio

Hello everyone,

I have a trip booked to Uganda for next August. Has anyone been there lately? Any comments about the troubles in the North and/or any other security concerns?

Thanks in advance from Madrid.

Hi Ignacio,

And welcome to Birdforum. I've not been to Uganda and I'm not sure about the security concerns either. Having said that a well-travelled friend of mine went a few years ago and he reckons it was one of the best countries he's visited for birds and he generally had a very enjoyable time (this was on an organised tour). Hopefully others will be able to comment further or will be able to indicate where else you might find more information. Hope you have a great trip!

Thank you Andrew,

I've recently returned from Mauritania, a country virtually unknown but with great potential. Just finished the trip report, will post it as soon as I find the time and figure out how to do it...

BTW, Spring has now fully arrived to central Spain. Amazing.

Ignacio

Ignacio
I lived for 15 years in Uganda and even whe nthere was insecurity in various parts there are many other location to go birding or viewing nature.
Do not let it put you off. Are you on a private trip or on an organised trip?
If private Murchison should be OK (esp S Bank) and Queen Elizabeth, Do not miss Lake Mburo - a nice small park with great bird life.
In the east there are many place (too many to name!)>
Where to Watchj Birds in Uganda is worth getting hold of.
Even Kampala and Entebbe are good. I have seen Shoebill at the water treatment works in Masaka (it is on the W side of the town)
Semliki may be off limits - I am out of date now so check that one out and perhaps check with the UK Foreign office website or telephone them. It may be worth checking with expatriates when you arrive.
Watch out for Black eyed slappers (a nocturnal bird).

ALso - go to the new(ish) coffee shop / art gallery run by Ros & Nic Cooper. They are quite keen bird watchers and will have alot of info for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back