• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Information about a Cardinal variation. (1 Viewer)

Patrick T

United States
Live in North Carolina near Lake Norman. We recently had two birds visit our feeder. I'm sure they are female Cardianals but they were larger than normal. Somewhere between the size of a Cardinal and the size of a Blue Jay. Both also had white eye patches and white on the lower center of their backs. The white patch on one of them was a perfect diamond. Both were also a gray color and had crested heads. Wasn't positive until I saw the second one that they were Cardinals. Any info on the color variation? Wish I had been able to get pictures.

Yes, pictures would be helpful but I'm going to move your thread to the Bird I D section of the Forum where it will get more viewers and you'll be notified by email of any poster's thoughts :)

Well there seems to be a glitch in the Forum and I'll contact admin so it will stay here until we can get it moved.

Hi Patrick, welcome to the forum. Sorry can’t help with the Cardinal dilemma.

Live in North Carolina near Lake Norman. We recently had two birds visit our feeder. I'm sure they are female Cardianals but they were larger than normal. Somewhere between the size of a Cardinal and the size of a Blue Jay. Both also had white eye patches and white on the lower center of their backs. The white patch on one of them was a perfect diamond. Both were also a gray color and had crested heads. Wasn't positive until I saw the second one that they were Cardinals. Any info on the color variation? Wish I had been able to get pictures.
That’s beyond any color variation I’ve heard of, not to mention the larger size and gray color. Even female cardinals have some red. Keep the camera handy!

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back