• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Information on Birding at Essex Coast (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I am visiting a friend who lives at West Horndo, this Thursday to Saturday. I recently introduced him to the delights of birding by a visit to RSPB Rainham Marshes.

He has suggested that this time a days birding would be good and asked me to suggest somewhere good on the nearby Essex coast.

Any suggestions please as I live in Kent and dont know that area at all.

Maybe a good range of birds with some waders?

Cheers

BB

For waders, I'd probably do Abberton (from the causeways, visitor centre and wherever else you can get a view of the res...) and a couple of nearby coastal sites. You'll need to time your visit with the tides for best effect. For my money, Abberton is easily the best single site in the county, so paired with a visit to somewhere like Tollesbury Wick, Old Hall or Fingringhoe, you should have a good day out.

Perhaps unhelpfully though, the vast majority of the Essex coast is good for birds...

Two Tree Island near Leigh on Sea has tidal creeks, a lagoon with breeding Avocets (well known site) which also attracts large numbers of Black-tailed Godwits and other waders over high tide to roost. Generally productive area for waders.

On the Eastern EWT side of the island there are Nightingales here though given time of year these may be quiet. there is also a hide that overlooks a Little Egret rookery, numbers gather in the evening and this time of year there could be over 70 present.

West Canvey Marshes RSPB reserve has numerous trails and hides.

Holland Haven always worth a look too. (Clacton ish)
Heybridge Basin is a nice place to vist along with Finringhoe Wick if you're heading up to Abberton....also Old Hall Marsh (Pectoral Sand there at the moment)
good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back