• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Marsh Farm - from the horse's mouth (1 Viewer)

Was going to go in the morning but cant make it until around 09.30 and can only stay an hour tops, not sure if to bother now as I guess it will already be packed out at that time!!

I can make it earlier on Wednesday when the queues maybe a little shorter at 08.30am

Hmmm

*** decided***

Wednesday morning, if anyone is in and around the Poynton area they are more than welcome to a lift to IMF
Dave

Last edited:
I too was asked to produce my membership card yesterday, for only the second time in eight visits - it's something the RSPB need to sharpen up on; unfortunately, you can't trust anyone these days.

Just for the record, the staff told me they had about 150 visitors on Sunday, their highest number in one day at the reserve.

Indeed Sunday was our busiest day ever! SO you can only imagine how hard it may be to get a seat - all we can do is ask for a little patience and that you are fair and kind to your fellow man.

With regards to showing your membership card - please volunteer to do this automatically if not asked. The volunteers and staff endeavour to ask all visitors if they are members but obviously may miss the odd one or two.

The two "LBD's" are currently viewable.

The reserve is open from 9am until dusk. Closed on Tuesdays - but to allow as many people to see the birds we have specially opened for today.

I visited yesterday afternoon (3.30pm) and the hide was quiet and peaceful. There were a few birders present but it was not packed. I was asked for my RSPB card and in fact have been asked for the card every time I have visited over the last 3 years. I also had a good chat with the person who asked for the card. Only just over an hour away from North Staffs its so easy to get to.

I had a positive experience and generally do when I go there.

Dean:t:

Last edited:
Indeed Sunday was our busiest day ever! SO you can only imagine how hard it may be to get a seat - all we can do is ask for a little patience and that you are fair and kind to your fellow man.

With regards to showing your membership card - please volunteer to do this automatically if not asked. The volunteers and staff endeavour to ask all visitors if they are members but obviously may miss the odd one or two.

The two "LBD's" are currently viewable.

The reserve is open from 9am until dusk. Closed on Tuesdays - but to allow as many people to see the birds we have specially opened for today.

We recently had a Sabs Gull at upton warren and all members of wildlife trusts were allowed in . Those that were not members were charged £3 . At IMF do you charge non RSPB members if not you should do . Its a good money earner for RSPB at all other reserves they would be chardged.

Hi there,

I visited a few weekend ago with a non member friend and he was charged £3.50 so yes they do charge and also offer non members the opportunity to join the RSPB. This is done at the point where you park which is better than being asked for money/membership cards from a hide.

Swift visit after work with excellent views this evening from 18:00 to 18:20 and only three other birders who kindly put me right on a few other IDs and didn't laugh too much when I said something daft about the distinctly long bills on the pair of Dowitchers! Interesting difference in plumage between the two - and very interesting feeding pattern.

Hi there,

I visited a few weekend ago with a non member friend and he was charged £3.50 so yes they do charge and also offer non members the opportunity to join the RSPB. This is done at the point where you park which is better than being asked for money/membership cards from a hide.

Totally agree Dean, I think we are not always able to get on top of the situation at Upton warren as we all volunteers there is not always the people available. Hopefully when the next big one arrives we will be more prepared and check memberships at the car park.
any true birder should join the RSPB without them we would have very little in the way of wetlands, they have set the standards for conservation throughout the world. Ps I am a Life Fellow

Cant wait to see them in the morning now!!

Have they been near enough to the hide to get photos?

I got a few poor record shots - should have stuck to 300mm [300mm plus 2x extender] but the light was poor and I didn't take a hide clamp/tripod. I believe they have been closer though and there are photos on the web which are very clear - better light, good digiscopers and better photographers than I! Have a good morning and watch out for the water rail 15 feet in front of the hide.

Got them.....

Great morning for me personally with more than a few life ticks.

Started off with a good veiw of a Redstart sat on the gate close to the train track, lots of Reed buntings showing well.

At the hide I soon picked up my first life tick with 9 Golden Plover.

No Dowitchers to be seen at first but were soon spotted after a few sorties from Sparrowhawks had sent everything airbourne twice and they settled down to the right of the hide away from the main flock of Lapwings, Godwits etc.

As more people settled in the hide a few more species were picked out, Curlew Sandpiper being the prize.

A stoat showed well where the Water rail should have been..... but luckily for me it showed briefly before I had to leave.

Looks like it could be a good day there with Ruff, Snipe, Knot, Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Pintail, Marsh Harrier all showing well

Dave

I spent the morning at IMF and the atmosphere there was great! There was a real air of excitement, and although we had a couple of complaints about the hide being crowded, generally visitors were delighted with what they saw, and were happy to wait for a seat.

Hen harrier, water rail, LBD all showing well.

Of course, it goes without saying that the staff were pleasant & helpful.... as usual;)

Got them.....

Great morning for me personally with more than a few life ticks.

Started off with a good veiw of a Redstart sat on the gate close to the train track, lots of Reed buntings showing well.

At the hide I soon picked up my first life tick with 9 Golden Plover.

No Dowitchers to be seen at first but were soon spotted after a few sorties from Sparrowhawks had sent everything airbourne twice and they settled down to the right of the hide away from the main flock of Lapwings, Godwits etc.

As more people settled in the hide a few more species were picked out, Curlew Sandpiper being the prize.

A stoat showed well where the Water rail should have been..... but luckily for me it showed briefly before I had to leave.

Looks like it could be a good day there with Ruff, Snipe, Knot, Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Pintail, Marsh Harrier all showing well

Dave

Glad you enjoyed yourself - did anybody else see these spotted redshanks? That would make it 13 species of wader in 24 hours!

And where exactly was the Redstart?

Didnt see the spotted redshank but greenshank yes!

Excellent display from the female hen harrier this pm just by the reeds opposite the hide!

LBDs showing well. Not too busy at the hide either! Even managed a few photos of the w rail.

Glad you enjoyed yourself - did anybody else see these spotted redshanks? That would make it 13 species of wader in 24 hours!

And where exactly was the Redstart?

One Spotted Redshank, seen by the few in the hide at around 10.00am towards the back left of the main pool. (the guy who spotted it pardon the pun was first in the hide and seemed to be a regular so maybe remembered by site staff)

Greenshank seen about the same time centre left of pool very isolated, didnt see it again after one of the aerials from a raptor spook!!

Redstart 09.10am on a gate post very close to the railway line by a load of bushes as you get to the end of the field and turn left towards the wood and hide.

Dave

Redstart 09.10am on a gate post very close to the railway line by a load of bushes as you get to the end of the field and turn left towards the wood and hide.

Dave

Good spot - we have had a few reports from this area but I believe that the whole walk down to the hide is underwatched...

.....but I believe that the whole walk down to the hide is underwatched...

The walk down to the hide is very enjoyable. I had a wheatear and then a stonechat eating an enormous scary bug the other day on the wall in the top field.

Will this area still be accessible when the new entrance/path etc are completed next year?

New Hide

I've heard a new hide is being built next year.

As a novice birder visting many hides for the first time this year, I can't help wondering why the ' hides ' are not better hidden.

While some birds do come relatively close to the hides many seem to prefer to keep their distance. They are obviously well aware of the large unnatural structure by the side of their habitat.

Could more not be done to camouflage hides and tempt more of the birds closer to the viewing area ?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back