• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Marsh Farm - from the horse's mouth (1 Viewer)

Another pleasant afternoon yesterday, although spoilt by the pub atmosphere. We should rename the hide "The Burton Arms". If people want to meet up with their mates for a chat and a laugh why on earth go to a hide on a bird reserve? :C

I have noticed the same sort of thing on my recent visits also.

CB

You heard it here first - sad to see that things are not improving.

There has been a sign on the door to the hide for some time now ...

In other news more prep work continues as one of the fishing pools has been pumped down - non-native fished to be removed. This pool will be amalgamated with the new scrape/pool/island network that will sit right on front of the new reception hide.

This pumped-down pool has of course been subject to the attentions of little egrets, grey herons and cormorants!

Another pleasant afternoon yesterday, although spoilt by the pub atmosphere. We should rename the hide "The Burton Arms". If people want to meet up with their mates for a chat and a laugh why on earth go to a hide on a bird reserve? :C

Out of 8 people in the hide yesterday afternoon, 6 were chatting, joking and laughing. Go to the pub folks!!!

One chap was even bemoaning the fact that he had missed the bittern coming in front of the hide a few days ago! Maybe it had heard all the noise and wanted to see what was going on! I think not!

Right that's my rant over, feel better now! ;)

Its a perennial problem. The sign above the door mentions turning pagers off but that isn't the problem.

Went to the reserve today but didn't go to the hide. Caught up with L B Dowitcher and whilst we were there an Egyptian Goose flew in.

Its a perennial problem. The sign above the door mentions turning pagers off but that isn't the problem. QUOTE]

The sign says keep all disturbances and noise to a minimum ... please ensure that all mobiles and pagers are swithched off/turned to silent.

Quite subtle I thought ... I particularly like the sleeping mallard to illustrate the point.

Not subtle enough I fear. I think notices inside asking people to keep voices down and poi ting out hide windows are for viewing through and waving arms out of them will generally frighten the birds. The lack of fieldcraft is rsally quite sad. I've stopped going to the hide (unless I have to!) as I end up getting so an annoyed.

Not subtle enough I fear. I think notices inside asking people to keep voices down and poi ting out hide windows are for viewing through and waving arms out of them will generally frighten the birds. The lack of fieldcraft is rsally quite sad. I've stopped going to the hide (unless I have to!) as I end up getting so an annoyed.
Hi Phil
as a warden at upton warren I have witnessed all sorts of behaviour. Regarding talking though I find it more irritating to fellow hide users than to the birds.
What spooks birds more is people opening the flaps totally oblivious to what birds are in front of the hide. People putting hands out is like you say a lack of field craft.
However there is now a 'new generation of wildlife watchers' for want of a better term - I am referring to non-wildlife photographers. By that I mean the ones who have just spent £000's on cameras/lens's and are looking for a 'subject'. This could have been aeroplanes or churches but some choose birds and that usually refers to kingfishers and other bright ones.
These people are mostly lacking any knowledge of wildlife let alone birds so thus do not know how to behave in hides or what makes a bird 'tick'.
This is NOT a go at wildlife photographers by any means far from it some of the wildlife photographers are also concerned by this sudden upsurge.
If they contribute to conservation by joining RSPB or the likes thats good but some do not. I know that some of these people will move on to appreciate birds and conservation so unfortunately we will have to put up with it.
I also know that many of us birders do tend to talk alot and have the banter but at the same time appreciate the birds and their welfare.

Hi Phil
as a warden at upton warren I have witnessed all sorts of behaviour. Regarding talking though I find it more irritating to fellow hide users than to the birds.
What spooks birds more is people opening the flaps totally oblivious to what birds are in front of the hide. People putting hands out is like you say a lack of field craft.
However there is now a 'new generation of wildlife watchers' for want of a better term - I am referring to non-wildlife photographers. By that I mean the ones who have just spent £000's on cameras/lens's and are looking for a 'subject'. This could have been aeroplanes or churches but some choose birds and that usually refers to kingfishers and other bright ones.
These people are mostly lacking any knowledge of wildlife let alone birds so thus do not know how to behave in hides or what makes a bird 'tick'.
This is NOT a go at wildlife photographers by any means far from it some of the wildlife photographers are also concerned by this sudden upsurge.
If they contribute to conservation by joining RSPB or the likes thats good but some do not. I know that some of these people will move on to appreciate birds and conservation so unfortunately we will have to put up with it.
I also know that many of us birders do tend to talk alot and have the banter but at the same time appreciate the birds and their welfare.

I'm sure there are aleady several discussion about this so ....

Back to the bird sightings ...

I walked down to the hide this morning in the snow - it seems to have pushed the small birds back into our crop field (reed bunting, linnet, chaffinch and brambling x2) and water rail(x2) pushed back into the woods around the boardwalk.

Thousands of lapwing, hundreds of teal, plenty of wigeon and a few each of the shelduck and pintail.

7 ruff were my highlight - nice size diff between the individuals.

1 snipe roosting in th open behind a lapwing had my close attention but despite wishful thinking I could not turn it into a long-billed dowitcher

100's of pink feet in the wheat fields around reserve which are going to and fro due to unseen disturbance ... fox?

Peregrine give it all a nice mix up and when I left it was sat in a tree behind the hide!

Now onto the raptor watch at Parkgate!

Spent a good few hours at the reserve yesterday but never got as far as the hide. Most of the time was spent sifting through the 600+ Pinkfeet but they were to distant to pick out any likely Beans amongst them. The Canada flock contains two dodgy looking farmyard table-ready specials superficially resembling Snow Geese whilst the Egyptian Goose got a good pecking from the local Carrion Crows. For some reason they didn't like it.

A return visit late in the afternoon when the light was better enabled us to pick out 5 Ruff on the flood and a lone Spotted Redshank amongst its commoner Bretheren.

I was told that the Egyptian Goose had been on No. 2 lagoon right in front of the hide but someone climbed the bund (after climbing the fence presumably) and flushed all the birds from in front of the hide. I want repeat what my informant called him. Needless to say it was a bit stronger than numpty.

Got a glimpse of the plans for the reserve extention. It will be stunning when its all completed and the addition of different hides and viewing areas should ease the congestion.

Last edited:
I was told that the Egyptian Goose had been on No. 2 lagoon right in front of the hide but someone climbed the bund (after climbing the fence presumably) and flushed all the birds from in front of the hide. I want repeat what my informant called him. Needless to say it was a bit stronger than numpty.

If anybody see this sort of behaviour happening then please report the offender to the wardens ASAP - deliberate disturbance of birds is unacceptable and may lead to prosecution.

Just stick to the footpath and hide please.

BTW Bittern reported again today!

A few spring arrivals to make note of including wheatears and chiffchaffs

Red Kite reported from Burton Marsh early this morning .....

If I was to pop down next week for an hour or two what chance do you think I'd have of seeing a hen harrier?

Will they be heading back up to the moors soon?

If I was to pop down next week for an hour or two what chance do you think I'd have of seeing a hen harrier?

Will they be heading back up to the moors soon?

You should still have a good chance to see them either at Inner Marsh Farm but also try Parkgate Old Baths car park and Banks Lane, Heswall.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back