• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting new camera, possibly of interest for birdwatchers (1 Viewer)

Having taken a look at the link the camera looks fine in theory but in use it doesn't seem very practical. Those buttons look rather too close together for larger hands and the handling a little awkward. Despite the larger size involved I'd have though something with a pistol grip would be better ergonomically.

Sorry that my text was not clear. I know it is not the same item, I just wanted to point out that there is a different approach to the same concept.

Niels

It's interesting that they're calling it a monocular, but seem to be pushing the photography side of it more that the viewing side. Doesn't seem to have manual focus, which I thought would be essential for a birding monocular.

I 3D-printed my own lens cap:

Most likely you don't have a 3D printer, but you can get it done by a service bureau like this one for about $11 shipped in the USA:

I made mine out of PETG as it's the most flexible material I can print, but I'd probably go for rubber-like TPU if I had it printed externally.

Last edited:
I 3D-printed my own lens cap:

Most likely you don't have a 3D printer, but you can get it done by a service bureau like this one for about $11 shipped in the USA:

I made mine out of PETG as it's the most flexible material I can print, but I'd probably go for rubber-like TPU if I had it printed externally.
Hello
Happy New year
yes a bit late but in France you can say HNY till the end of January ;)

I have found a friend who can print the lens cap for me

Questions :
how do I transfer the file to him ?
Do i give him the Github url ?
he suggests using PLA or Polypropylene

cheers
Vincent

Yes, I am French, so Meilleurs Vœux!

Send him the github link, he can download the STL file and import that into whatever software he uses for his 3D printer.

I would not advise PLA as it is brittle and risks shattering. Polypropylene should be fine.

Yes, I am French, so Meilleurs Vœux!

Send him the github link, he can download the STL file and import that into whatever software he uses for his 3D printer.

I would not advise PLA as it is brittle and risks shattering. Polypropylene should be fine.
"merci infiniment ;)

taking advantage of your "état d'esprit" i was thinking of getting
this printed and gluing it to a rigid case as to have a rapid way of attaching my pixel phone to my kowa

qu'en penses tu ?

et thanks again

I would get an entire case + adapter 3d-printed, but that assumes 3D CAD plans are already available for a case. I’m very new to dig is coping, but so far it seems very clunky and impractical. Astro cameras like ZWO that drop into a standard telescope eyepiece slot seem like a better option.

ah...

yes it is clunky but after a year of so of playing the iron triangle...

what i want (lowest worst case complexity) is a way of rapidly connecting my current phone to the scope
A push on / pull off outfit is the next prototype

so we shall see :)

Thanks again for your 'vielle techno'

The Powershot Zoom, that I am learning to use, is a nice little tool.

and now you've put me on to ZWO which I will look into during the next lock down here

Have fun

ps
The photographer, my wife, got a EF 100-400 IS II USM for Christmas and it is wonderful

V

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back