• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting Optics Trade discussion on where Leica binoculars are made. (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
"Hello and welcome to another episode of Optics Trade debates. Today, we are going to answer one of the most commonly asked questions we receive, that is: Where are Leica binoculars made?

Let us begin with some history behind Leica binoculars. Leica has been producing binoculars since 1907, which is for more than 113 years. Before, they were producing microscopes and other optics. During the whole century of their production, they have become one of the leaders in the premium class of sport optics. They are one of the big three: Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss. What makes them famous is that they were chosen by NASA for their mission to the moon. The astronauts at that time used the Trinovid binoculars. The second big milestone among many was the introduction of the first laser range finder on the civil market. In 1992, they introduced the first Geovid, which ordinary people (not military employees) were able to buy.

Their main production facility is in Wetzlar, Germany, and it is called Leitz-Park. They also have a factory in Portugal since the early 70s. It is about an hour’s drive from Porto in Portugal, and they have quite a big factory there – about 700 employees. Leitz-Park was opened recently – 5, 6 years ago. We wrote an article about this factor, so do check it out. They also have a museum there, as well as a hotel and a restaurant. They invested more than 20 million euros in the factory in Portugal. They also do a lot of research and development in Portugal, not only in Germany. They say that the quality of products that came from Portugal is on the same level as those that come from Germany.

So, all binoculars are made either in Portugal or in Germany. This is also the reason why their binoculars are not the cheapest (they start at €500). Which binoculars are made in Germany? The Noctivid, Ultravid, Duovid, and some other special series. Every other series, like the Geovid, Trinovid, and all the Compact series, are produced in Portugal. The Ultravid Compact is also made in Portugal. All in all, it is safe to say that they produce much more binoculars in Portugal than they do in Germany. Those made in Portugal are not that different from the ones made in Germany, they are astonishing as well."

Factually incorrect, unless Leica are now manufacturing binoculars in Germany and labelling them as made in Portugal.

Or is that such an old article that it predates the made in Portugal labelling on all Ultravid and Noctivid instruments?

Dennis, for a man with so much hands-on experience using binoculars, it always astounds me how little you actually seem to have learned about them that isn't cut-and-pasted corporate pablum. Anyone who has been listening knows well where the damn things are made, and that it is an inflammatory subject here.

On the subject of how binoculars are made and not where, I want to recommend to everyone the excellent selection of books on optics by SPIE. I have 4 of their field guides:

Binoculars and Scopes
Lens Design
Optomechanical Design and Analysis
Visual and Ophthalmic Optics

Even when the material has been over my head it was still good stuff. Check it out:

"Made in Germany" undoubtedly means final assembly in Wetzlar of sub-assemblies manufactured in Portugal so that the final product can be badged in a such a way so as not to offend the sensibilities of dilettantes such as yourself. Surely you have accrued some awareness of how the (global manufacturing) world works, Dennis?

"Made in Germany" undoubtedly means final assembly in Wetzlar of sub-assemblies manufactured in Portugal so that the final product can be badged in a such a way so as not to offend the sensibilities of dilettantes such as yourself. Surely you have accrued some awareness of how the (global manufacturing) world works, Dennis?
IMO even if it just assembled in Germany from sub-assemblies it I still consider it Made in Germany. Every thing is made from sub-assemblies anymore. Hardly anything is TOTALLY made in one place. Automobiles are a perfect example. The various parts are from all over the world. I have emailed Leica to see what their response is. Besides, as long as they have that "German Smell"on them, I don't care if the parts were made in Portugal! They smell much better than that OTHER Austrian brand!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Hasn't this dead horse been beaten enough? I fail to understand why anyone responded to thread when it's been hashed and rehashed. (And yet I responded...)

R-L

I have Ultravid HD+ models labeled Made in Germany and the latest models labeled "Made in Portugal". I believe Leica has moved most, if not all, production to Portugal. And that's just fine by me, as my "Made in Portugal" Ultravid HD+ model is every bit as superb as my "Made in Germany" Ultravid HD+ models - indistinguishable.

I purchased it about 3 months ago new and the S/N 2269263. Is there a way to tell the date of manufacture from the S/N?
Not that I'm aware of, but both the brown outer box the silver and green Leica box comes in, and the silver and green Leica box itself, will have a white sticker with a date on it (as well as the serial number).

My suspicion, is that you have a new example from older stock. From observations I've made over the last year or so, Noctivid and Ultravid instruments have been labelled Made In Portugal from at least the second half of last year, although others will probably be able to say more accurately when the labelling switch was made.

I had one retailer test the focus wheel of his entire Noctivid stock, in search of one with a perfect focus mechanism, having rejected the first example he sent me, for that reason. None of his 10x42's were any better, but he tested his 8x42 stock and did perceive his two older Made In Germany new stock to have a smoother action than his newer Made In Portugal stock. In the end, I found a Made In Portugal example which was absolute perfection, so please don't misunderstand, I am most definitely not buying in to any conspiracy theory that there is any difference in the quality or specification of instruments made in Germany, or that they are in any way better than those made in Portugal.

We do know, however (from old threads on this subject), that having the Made In Germany badge is important to some.

Last edited:
So Leica is lying because my new Leica Noctivid 8x42 clearly say "Made in Germany" on them?
Dennis, I've heard that the Leica's made in Portugal have a 0.00005% improvement in light transmission! If I was you I would immediately sell the duffer you have and buy a new one made in Portugal. The difference will be so obvious when you look through it!

I think there are good reasons to believe that all Leica’s have been made in Portugal for some years (with possibly some final assembly at Wetzlar to justify the ’Made in Germany’ label), but that point is now moot as Leica states that they are all made there.

I think Leica made the decision to do so because it had become such relatively common knowledge that the manufacturing actually took place in Portugal that any advantage the ‘Made in Germany’ label might have had was offset by the perception of many that they were being somewhat disingenuous by using it.

Not that I'm aware of, but both the brown outer box the silver and green Leica box comes in, and the silver and green Leica box itself, will have a white sticker with a date on it (as well as the serial number).

My suspicion, is that you have a new example from older stock. From observations I've made over the last year or so, Noctivid and Ultravid instruments have been labelled Made In Portugal from at least the second half of last year, although others will probably be able to say more accurately when the labelling switch was made.

I had one retailer test the focus wheel of his entire Noctivid stock, in search of one with a perfect focus mechanism, having rejected the first example he sent me, for that reason. None of his 10x42's were any better, but he tested his 8x42 stock and did perceive his two older Made In Germany new stock to have a smoother action than his newer Made In Portugal stock. In the end, I found a Made In Portugal example which was absolute perfection, so please don't misunderstand, I am most definitely not buying in to any conspiracy theory that there is any difference in the quality or specification of instruments made in Germany, or that they are in any way better than those made in Portugal.

We do know, however (from old threads on this subject), that having the Made In Germany badge is important to some.
My first Noctivid 8x42 was Made in Portugal and I returned it due to the focus wheel. IMO, the Made in Portugal sample seemed lower quality than the Made in Germany sample I have now. This Made in Germany sample is perfect in every way.

Last edited:
Dennis, I've heard that the Leica's made in Portugal have a 0.00005% improvement in light transmission! If I was you I would immediately sell the duffer you have and buy a new one made in Portugal. The difference will be so obvious when you look through it!
I have already noticed the difference in transmission. That is why when I buy one, I ask if it is made in Portugal or Germany.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back