• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IOC World Bird List v11.1 (1 Viewer)

Larry,
The BOW pages are not yet published. Our posting of the draft of the IOC spreadsheets (IOC "red") is done as a preliminary release generally as a preview of things soon to come, and to seek comments about any obvious infelicities. So, all you can download at this time is the IOC 11.1 red spreadsheet which is the first option on the Master Lists page.

Hope this helps.

David

There is a note (here) about retiring the BOW pages for 11.1. Have you decided against this?

There is a note (here) about retiring the BOW pages for 11.1. Have you decided against this?
In 11.1 we will be experimenting with replacing the traditional BOW pages with a single, searchable, Google sheet copy of the Life List+ Excel spreadsheet that is also downloadable on the Master Lists page. Preparing the traditional BOW sheets has been extremely time-intensive, complex to set up, error prone, and subject to multiple revisions before we get it "right." We are not sure that we are in a position to sustain it going forward.

In 11.1 we will be experimenting with replacing the traditional BOW pages with a single, searchable, Google sheet copy of the Life List+ Excel spreadsheet that is also downloadable on the Master Lists page. Preparing the traditional BOW sheets has been extremely time-intensive, complex to set up, error prone, and subject to multiple revisions before we get it "right." We are not sure that we are in a position to sustain it going forward.
Will there be a multilingual version? it will be very useful for me to know the name of a bird that I miss

No, my birdlist gives scientific and French names. I'm working on a big project and I need new French names for each new recognised taxa. In this case, here, Herpsilochmus frater which is missing 🤷
Well, that is something new, normaly they want English names. Keep in mind those names in national languages have no status.

With this I c;lose my part of the discussion on "native" names

Fred

Keep in mind those names in national languages have no status.
Speak for yourself English speakers but for us, frog leg eaters, they are more important than latin names because the majority of us refer to common names, at least in France 🙃

So, I would have no other choice than to create its name

Last edited:
Will there be a multilingual version? it will be very useful for me to know the name of a bird that I miss
The Multilingual version of the IOC World Bird List will continue, as it always has been, as a downloadable spreadsheet on the Master Lists page. As many on Bird Forum are aware, it is maintained by Peter Kovalik.

No, my birdlist gives scientific and French names. I'm working on a big project and I need new French names for each new recognised taxa. In this case, here, Herpsilochmus frater which is missing 🤷
Jimmy, Herpsilochmus frater is Grisin de Sclater by Michel Gosselin & Normand David, 2021. Missing French names in IOC 11.1.

Jimmy, Herpsilochmus frater is Grisin de Sclater by Michel Gosselin & Normand David, 2021. Missing French names in IOC 11.1.
It's exactly the name I choose for it before your reply and it was obviously that it has its name. Thanks for the confirmation

I guess that Myiomela sumatrana is Myiomèle de Sumatra

Last edited:

An alternative is to link to the anchors in a single large Google Sheets page. This wouldn't require complex setup. All it needs is the sheet and row number added as anchor. Links could be set up for orders and families from the orders of birds and family index pages.

A link to the position of the current sheets used by the BOW menu would look like this:

Code:
https://www.worldbirdnames.org/new/bow/nightjars/#1435433996R1625

where 1435433996 is the sheet number and 1625 is the row (minus one).

The following would link to family Nyctibiidae:

Code:
https://www.worldbirdnames.org/new/bow/nightjars/#1435433996R1671
This could be used to redirect the family links of form https://www.worldbirdnames.org/Family/Struthionidae, which stopped working on after the switch to the embedded Google sheets.

These links work properly in Chrome and Edge. There is a problem in Firefox where they link to the position on the parent page where the row would be if not embedded in the scrollable frame containing the google sheet.

In the multilingue file, the French name of Pnoepyga mutica is erroneously named "Turdinule" de Chine instead of Microure de Chine. Please tell Gosselin to fix this typo

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back