• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IOC World Bird List V2.4 (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
I've just noticed that the IOC World Bird List website now provides a preview of the draft decisions for the next version (V2.4):
http://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates.html
[see under individual update categories]

Many thanks to the IOC team for offering this additional visibility of work in progress. :t:

Richard

Last edited:
looks good...can't see anything too disagreeable (was hoping the draft of the IOC treatment of babblers would be up). Of course, still not sure how I feel about the Desertas Petrel split...just when people started feeling comfortable in listing Fea's Petrel on the east US coast, this comes along :(

If anyone on the IOC checklist committee reads this, could you fix the layout of the proposed species page? the shade of green and color of text used makes it difficult to read

Huh

Another Pterodroma split? Blaaaggh!! Anyone know the area of occurrence for P. deserta? I've heard that they only breed on Bugio Island. Are they more or less restricted to the Desertas/Madeira? Canary? Portugal?

Desertas Petrel

Anyone know the area of occurrence for P. deserta? I've heard that they only breed on Bugio Island. Are they more or less restricted to the Desertas/Madeira? Canary? Portugal?
Breeding confirmed only on Bugio (c170-260 pairs) according to Robb et al 2008, but with the possibility of a tiny population in the Azores (gadfly petrels trapped there in the 1990s had measurements at the upper end of the range for deserta).

[P deserta has been recognised by Dutch Birding since Jan 2008.]

Richard

incidentally, did anyone else notice that link to this forum on one of their pages, suggesting that if you want to stay on the cusp of bird taxonomy, this was the place to be? :p

Nice shout out

incidentally, did anyone else notice that link to this forum on one of their pages, suggesting that if you want to stay on the cusp of bird taxonomy, this was the place to be? :p

Nice shout out
...and I hope you're grateful to Sally for the revised shade of green (accepted proposed splits). ;)

Richard

HAH

Yes Thanks IOC and Sally for the color change...it's now much more easier to read and looks much nicer, at least under firefox (the browser I use).

My pleasure. The page looks much better. We'll blame that lapse on Frank's slight blue-green color-blindness.

As always, we welcome constructive suggestions.

Sally Conyne

Breeding confirmed only on Bugio (c170-260 pairs) according to Robb et al 2008, but with the possibility of a tiny population in the Azores (gadfly petrels trapped there in the 1990s had measurements at the upper end of the range for deserta).

[P deserta has been recognised by Dutch Birding since Jan 2008.]

Richard

Once upon a time it bred on Deserta Grande, too. Bugio breeds on the island's grassy plateau in rabbit burrows, which is a different habitat than Zino's (burrows on high-mountain cliff ledges) and Fea's on Cape Verde (burrows? in inaccessible sea cliffs/caves). Cape Verde situation may be clouded by hunting pressure (I was told that it is the tastiest seabird and provides the best vomit soup of any on Cape Verde, hence found only out of reach).

John

One thing I noticed today; I noticed that the Savannah Sparrow splits (San Benito, Large-billed, Belding's) are slated for deletion from the proposed split list. While AOU didn't pass the vote, It wasn't passed based on needing more published information, not necessarily that a future split wasn't warranted. On that basis, should those taxa be retained?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back