• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iolo’s Pembrokeshire (1 Viewer)

I have watched two episodes of this on iPlayer so far and think that it is very good. The second programme had plenty of birds in it and I enjoyed seeing the underground Wheatear nests. It is pleasantly low budget with (I assume) just Iolo, a camera operator and a sound recorder, which makes it feel a lot more intimate. I look forward to working my way through the remaining episodes.

Ron

Last edited:
Just watched the second episode tonight. It's just like going out on a walk and seeing what you can find. It feels a lot like what real wildlife spotting is like.

Just finished watching this and found myself disappointed there were only 4 episodes, so it must have been good! On Springwatch etal I usually find Iolo a bit dry and stuck to a script he's not that keen on, whereas on this he felt a lot more natural and spontaneous with what he was watching, much better. BBC - give him some more series and it doesnt have to be just Wales!! (disclaimer - nothing wrong with Wales!!).

I watched the third episode last night. Three things that impressed me:

1. The small reserve at the beginning, Llangloffan Fen, reminded me a lot of a reserve near me run by the Scottish Wildlife Trust called Cathkin Marsh. Like the Welsh reserve, this is a marsh with some open water, surrounded by farmland (and in the Scottish reserve - landfill). It's one of those places hardly anyway knows about but it's a little oasis of wildlife, as Iolo said about Llangloffan Fen.

2. The sighting of House Martins nesting on a sea cliff on the coast. I've never seen these birds using natural habitat before, it was quite a surprise.

3. Demoiselle damselflies (I'm not sure exactly which species) over a river. Beautiful in flight.

Looking forward to seeing what's in the last episode.

I watched the third episode last night. Three things that impressed me:

1. The small reserve at the beginning, Llangloffan Fen, reminded me a lot of a reserve near me run by the Scottish Wildlife Trust called Cathkin Marsh. Like the Welsh reserve, this is a marsh with some open water, surrounded by farmland (and in the Scottish reserve - landfill). It's one of those places hardly anyway knows about but it's a little oasis of wildlife, as Iolo said about Llangloffan Fen.

2. The sighting of House Martins nesting on a sea cliff on the coast. I've never seen these birds using natural habitat before, it was quite a surprise.

3. Demoiselle damselflies (I'm not sure exactly which species) over a river. Beautiful in flight.

Looking forward to seeing what's in the last episode.
They were Beautiful Demoiselles. It has been an excellent series. Hope Iolo does more like this.

Thanks for confirming. I looked online after posting this and figured they must have been that species as the Banded Demoiselle's wings are much more distinctive.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back