• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Iraq, Armenian Gull? (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, I would appreciate confirmation or correction of my id of the larger bird in the attached photo. I think it is an Armenian Gull based on the ring on its bill but would appreciate confirmation or correction. The smaller gulls are black-headed gulls I believe.
The photo was taken in Baghdad, with the gulls on a sandbar in the middle of the Tigris.
thank you in advance for your assistance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_111b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_111b.jpeg
    671.1 KB · Views: 47

KenM

I would suggest yes tentatively, the bill as you mentioned also the relatively small eye and apparent darker mantle tone.

Cheers

bhutjoe

Thanks Ken, much appreciated. Is there another gull that looks somewhat similar or does it not look quite "Armenian"? I looked at the eBird list and this seemed to be the only large (or small) gull in the area that looks like that.
Thanks again,
steve

KenM

Thanks Ken, much appreciated. Is there another gull that looks somewhat similar or does it not look quite "Armenian"? I looked at the eBird list and this seemed to be the only large (or small) gull in the area that looks like that.
Thanks again,
steve
I think you’ll need more opinions Steve to be on the safe side. Perhaps the only other candidate (don’t know the incidence of occurrence in Winter at site?) might be Steppe Gull (L.f.barabensis)?

Cheers

lou salomon

the birdonist
exactly. a 3rd cycle barabensis can have about as much black to bill as a prebreeding adult armenian gull. i wouldn't want to put a name on this based only on a blurry pic. bill looks short for barabensis and it also looks a bit misshaped (curved down, if this isn't just a photographic artefact) which can account for the shortess of the bill. so, in the end i'd leave it as armnicus/barabensis. the pale yellowish (or even greenish like they appear in the photo) don't help - both species can have pale yellow legs in winter or as subadults. an open wing shot is best or/and a good pic of the head.

Users who are viewing this thread