• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Iraq egret species id help please (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

These quite poor photos were taken March 30 in Baghdad, with the bird on a sandbar in the Tigris, so a bit inland. I thought it might be a white morph western reef egret based on the colour of the bill not being black (photo artifact?) and its size relative to the black headed gulls (size always an issue as I have learned on here). It was really the bill colour that led me to think it was not a little egret. But it is inland so maybe it is a little egret after all. Any comments/corrections or other help much appreciated. I just read a comment by Butty about reef egrets being coastal so now I am wondering about the id of this bird as Baghdad is not really coastal:). All photos are of the same bird I believe.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_118e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_118e.jpeg
    745.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN4465.JPG
    DSCN4465.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • fullsizeoutput_1192.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1192.jpeg
    446.1 KB · Views: 32
  • fullsizeoutput_1193.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1193.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 34

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Looks like a Little Egret to me. Not getting the "rakish" vibes of WRE here. LE can have cold bluish tones to the bill. Also yellow seems sharply demarcated and confined to the feet.

Users who are viewing this thread