• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iraq - lark? (1 Viewer)

Gretchen

I saw several birds the other morning here in the northern-most (western) bit of Iraq. The birds were usually perched quite prominently on wires, tops of bushes and in trees, and singing incessantly. This is partly why I thought they were larks - I thought I could figure out which one when I got home, but didn't realize there are 16 on the country list! There were at least 3 or maybe 4 in a cemetery, a part which had trees, bushes and a bit of flowing water, a mixed but basically open habitat. One chased another at one point.

They were not the usual Crested Larks we have here: this song was not melodic at all really - I've attached an amplification of my phone recording, it may help. The birds were fairly nondescript - "sparrow-like" coloring, shades of beige to brown. I did not notice any distinctive markings around the eyes; the bill was large and a bit conical but not really notable; there was no sign of a crest. There was a kind of wing bar (greater coverts?) and some of the feathers (tertials or scapulars - I forget) had very dark centers, with light fringes. I did notice the legs were fairly pink (or possibly a light orange?).

After looking in the books I realized some of the features I should have looked harder at, but can anyone give help on this?

Attachments

• possible lark.mp3
    101.6 KB
Ah, my first thought was a bunting. I've never seen a Corn Bunting before, but I see it is a fairly large bunting, and larger than some of the lark choices I considered. The song does make much more sense for a bunting.

Looking at pictures I was reminded that the birds I saw had some, but not extensive stripes on the breast, not so much the chin. I see that the Turkish area subspecies could be less streaked, so that sounds good.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back