• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ireland - Is this a pipit? (1 Viewer)

deiseboy

Ireland
Hi. This is my first post so be gentle, please.
I live in Co. Waterford Ireland and we have a Trail camera by our pond which recorded this bird bathing.
I think there might be 2 different birds.
We thought this was a thrush but its back is not thrush like and it seems a bit smaller.
We also often see redwings and fieldfares in the winter and knew it wasn't either of those.

We decided that it must be a pipit or maybe a lark.
I could post the video if that is allowed but I couldn't see a way to do it.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0030_Moment2.jpg
    IMAG0030_Moment2.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMAG0030_Moment3.jpg
    IMAG0030_Moment3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMAG0030_Moment4.jpg
    IMAG0030_Moment4.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 128
You have a great wildlife pond there (and larger than mine!)

Just wanted to say, welcome to Birdforum 🙂 - videos are allowed btw just ask and someone will help you.

(- agree that they are Meadow Pipits btw)

Thanks,Deb. The pond is not as big as it looks in the photos but the birds certainly love it.
I just figured out that the video I wanted to post was in .avi format, which is not supported.
I have converted it to .mp4 so I hope it will upload now.
PS. It uploaded but the quality doesn't seem as good as the original.

Attachments

• Pipit_x264.mp4
    3 MB
The quality is perfectly adequate for the purpose - I really like your pond it looks excellent for wildlife. I’m surprised at the good sound quality too.

I hope you enjoy sharing your media files in the Gallery.

Lovely garden and pond and you're being rewarded with happy birds - that what we're all looking for.
PS Welcome and I hope we were gentle...

Lovely garden and pond and you're being rewarded with happy birds - that what we're all looking for.
PS Welcome and I hope we were gentle...
You are obviously all lovely kind people. I think bird lovers are.
The pond is actually in 2 sections and this is the smaller part. I will post a video from the other end too.
Would you like to see a snipe?

What a fabulous creation, not just for the wildlife but for your enjoyment to. I'm very envious. Thanks for sharing.

What a fabulous creation, not just for the wildlife but for your enjoyment to. I'm very envious. Thanks for sharing.
We're delighted with it to be honest. About 10 years ago our son in law dug the hole out and then emigrated back to Australia.
It was one of those things we were always going to get round to.

Locked down in August, we were sitting and looking at the hole and decided that the time had come.
The day after we filled it with water there were water beetles in it and the birds were close behind.
There is little surface water in our area so I guess they were delighted. They even get in there with ice on the pond.

Blackbirds, thrushes, great tits and blue tits, along with robins and a wren, are regular visitors (No coal tits, although we see them at the feeders every day). We have hundreds of rooks in the area but they never come to the pond.
We have also had greenfinches, goldfinches and chaffinches, sparrows - grey and pied wagtails and a female bullfinch.
We had a huge flock of thrushes (Mistle - I think), around 30 of them, in August. Then there is the snipe and, of course the meadow pipits.

We even have one frog (at least) so we're hoping for frogspawn, and a fox comes to drink occasionally.

Build it and they will come!

Lovely setting.
I wonder if you or flock of 30 thrushes, might have been Fieldfares and/or Redwings?
They may have been Mistle Thrushes, but 30 seems a lot unless at roost.

Lovely setting.
I wonder if you or flock of 30 thrushes, might have been Fieldfares and/or Redwings?
They may have been Mistle Thrushes, but 30 seems a lot unless at roost.
Hi Wolfbirder.
We do get redwings and fieldfares but usually not till the winter. This was in late August and there were definitely no fieldfares among them.
I have videos of them but I may have to reduce the size to post them here.

We have more videos but I have cut this down a lot.
We estimated from all the videos that there were around 30 in total.
I think they first came on 10 August.

Attachments

• Mistle Thrushes.mp4
    18.4 MB
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back