• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is a 50mm NL likely? (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
Although Swarovski has already done things with their product lines that I would never have expected, I keep trying to figure out whether the NL is meant to develop into a full line of binoculars (or they even think in such terms anymore). I understand that a 32mm model is due out shortly, but am very curious whether we'll see a 50mm. I'm inclined to take the offering of a 12x42 as a signal that we won't; then again it could seem odd to have 50mm only in the now second-string EL line... or are fewer people buying large bins these days? Has anyone heard anything about what the eventual lineup is likely to be? (And by the way, what does "NL" stand for?)

I hope they make some 50s. I'd be more interested in them than in 32s.
I think it stand for "Nature Lover." I can't remember where I saw that.

In the Netherlands NL stands for Netherland, but for the rest of the world it means NatureLover.
I do hope the launch of the 50 will be after the reality that Swarovski can produce according to the demand. Still they can't produce according to the demand but the waitinglist is "shrinking" (still months).

Jan

Last edited:
Въпреки че Сваровски вече е направил неща с техните продуктови линии, които никога не бих очаквал, продължавам да се опитвам дали NL е предназначен да се превърне в пълна линия бинокли (или дори вече мислят с такива термини). Разбирам, че 32-милиметровият модел ще се появи скоро, но съм много любопитен дали ще видим 50-милиметров. Склонен съм да приема предлагането на 12x42 като сигнал, че няма да го направим; тогава отново може да изглежда странно да имаме 50 мм само в сегашната линия на втория низ EL ... или по-малко хора купуват големи кошчета в наши дни? Някой да е чувал нещо за това какъв е евентуалният състав? (И между другото, какво означава „NL“?)
може би няма да има 50NL, защото излезе 12x42 NL ...

In the Netherlands NL stands for Netherland, but for the rest of the world it means NatureLover.
Jan, I thought of you even as I asked that!

може би няма да има 50NL, защото излезе 12x42 NL ... [maybe there won't be 50NL because 12x42 NL came out ...]
That's what I fear. Then again, maybe they just decided a 12x42 might work because of the new headrest, and we can still hope for a 50, which will have a finnstick that plugs into holes on the bottom.

Last edited:
Sadly, nowadays a range of sizes in a model are much reduced - no new x 7s, nor 56mm. One can only dream of a new alpha 8 x 56.

I wonder what the sales figures are lately... birders never used large glass, hunters are switching to night-vision gear, and astronomy probably isn't a very large market especially with most people living under light-polluted skies now.

Had a customer today who wanted the view of the NL but bought the ELSV 42 because the tubes of the NL were to thin for his big hands. If there was a 50NL available there would be no doubt for him.

Jan

Although Swarovski has already done things with their product lines that I would never have expected, I keep trying to figure out whether the NL is meant to develop into a full line of binoculars (or they even think in such terms anymore). I understand that a 32mm model is due out shortly, but am very curious whether we'll see a 50mm. I'm inclined to take the offering of a 12x42 as a signal that we won't; then again it could seem odd to have 50mm only in the now second-string EL line... or are fewer people buying large bins these days? Has anyone heard anything about what the eventual lineup is likely to be? (And by the way, what does "NL" stand for?)
Where is the rumor of a soon to be released x32 Nl coming from? I had called Swarovski (SONA) and asked about it, just a few days ago. Of course, they denied knowing when or if a x32 Nl was in the works. Personally, I wonder if a x32 Nl was made with the same ergonimics as the x42 Nl, would it be too narrow at its waist, even if your hands weren't large. The ergonomics of the Nl would be more suited to a x50 mm, but few could probably afford it.

I think someone here claimed that someone at Swaro had more or less confirmed NL 32, but didn't bookmark it.

I doubt the wasp-waist would make sense in 32mm but that isn't the point, FOV is. (The SF 32 even betters the 42.) And it is at least plausible because 32mm is increasingly popular... as 50+ seems not to be. As to affordability, no one seriously contemplating an NL would balk at a few hundred more for 50mm! (There's already discussion among a few here as to which two NLs make sense...)

I think Swarovski is looking at the demand of the X50 and 56s, they will not go that route (NL X50/56) if it does not cough up a profit. The 8X32 if there is one, will be on the longer side like the SF, so as to jam all that glass into the eyepiece.

Мисля, че Сваровски разглежда търсенето на X50 и 56s, те няма да тръгнат по този път (NL X50 / 56), ако това не доведе до печалба. 8X32, ако има такъв, ще бъде от по-дългата страна като SF, така че да забие цялата чаша в окуляра.
В края на август 2020 г. керванът на Сваровски беше в Чехия на ловно изложение на около 30 км. от Прага. След това в разговор научих от представителя на Swarovski, че се очакват 32NL ... Тогава го попитах за 50NL. Той смята, че няма да има 50NL, защото серията NL е проектирана да бъде компактна и ергономична. Това беше обикновен разговор. Не бих искал да заблуждавам никого.

google translate of above post

At the end of August 2020, Swarovski's caravan was in the Czech Republic at a hunting exhibition about 30 km away. from Prague. Then in a conversation I learned from the Swarovski representative that 32NL is expected ... Then I asked him about 50NL. He believes there will be no 50NL because the NL series is designed to be compact and ergonomic. It was a simple conversation. I would not want to deceive anyone.

I own a 12x42 NL and costs around the same (higher) compared to 12x50 EL and for the longest time I can't bringing myself to purchase the latter. When I tested the NL, took me like 10 seconds to decide to place an order. If there is a 12x50 NL and the price is way higher, I'll probably still end up getting the 42 since I only use it in the day and it works really well in the evening lights as well.

I wonder what the sales figures are lately... birders never used large glass, hunters are switching to night-vision gear, and astronomy probably isn't a very large market especially with most people living under light-polluted skies now.
I think a lot of hunters would buy a 50mm NL, especially in the western US. While some may be using night vision there are styles of hunting based on long glassing sessions and the big ELs and SLCs are very popular. Many hunters are also finding that a 15x56 or 12x50 can replace a much larger spotting scope and offer more viewing comfort and less weight to carry at a (potentially) lower cost.
Cheers
Daniel

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back