• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is a parabolic dish capable of listening or recording 12hz? (1 Viewer)

missbrown77

Australia
Greetings All,

I have recently gotten into the amateur world of insect and bug recordings. I was wondering if a parabolic dish is capable of recording or listening to 12hz frequency? I wish to record insects but of the low frequency variety and I wish to be able to hear from a distance.

I was thinking about using the Sennheiser MKH 20-P48 RF Condenser Microphone - capable to do 12hz - 20hkz but with a custom dish.

The overall aim is to get a parabolic dish capable of the lowest possible frequency captive but can also hear from quite a distance as well.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

A 12 Hz sound wave has a wavelength of 25 meters. Even if your dish had two meters, it would still be only 1/10th of the wave and the sound is gonna mostly diffract around it, not reflect.

I don't know if there are any other tools to improve recording of low frequency sound, maybe there are, but a dish is clearly not one of them.

Greetings All,

I have recently gotten into the amateur world of insect and bug recordings. I was wondering if a parabolic dish is capable of recording or listening to 12hz frequency? I wish to record insects but of the low frequency variety and I wish to be able to hear from a distance.

I was thinking about using the Sennheiser MKH 20-P48 RF Condenser Microphone - capable to do 12hz - 20hkz but with a custom dish.

The overall aim is to get a parabolic dish capable of the lowest possible frequency captive but can also hear from quite a distance as well.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
missbrown, the Sennheiser MKH 20 does not need any dish to deliver its 12-20k frequency range, as the newer MKH 8020 (10 Hz - 60 kHz) doesn't.

Maybe You mixed it up with the Jecklin disc ("OSS technology"), whis is used to get natural stereo sound w/ a pair of MKH20s (or any other pair of omni mics), whicv are often used for that?

As Opisska mentioned, a parabol disc is not the right choice for getting LF sounds.

Just take one MKH 8020 and a capable field recorder and You'll be fine.

Cheers)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back