• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is a travel scope worthwhile for a first-time scope buyer? (1 Viewer)

I'll add to the recommendations for the Opticron MM4, which I owned for the last year. Mine came with the HDF T eyepiece, but I recently tried one with the latest SDL v3 eyepiece and it is a great improvement. Not on sharpness or colour correction, but it gives a wider field of view, so viewing feels more immersive... like you're 'in' the scene, rather than looking at it 'through a tube'. That said, I was happy enough with the HDF T for a year, until I used the SDL v3.

The only reason that I sold the Opticron was that I moved on to the Kowa 773, which is portable enough for me, and compact and light enough for a compact tripod, the pair fitting into a small backpack. The point being, that your choice of scope will dictate your choice of tripod, so you need to consider the two together - for travel, no point a small scope and a large tripod.

FWIW, I use the Manfrotto BefreeGT, which is a beefed up BeFree. It has a height that doesn't require the centre to column to be raised for an angled scope (for anyone up to about 6ft), keeping it more stable. Which is just one reason that I feel you'd be better off with an angled scope.

For me a 60 mm (Nikon Fieldscope ED-III) is the best balance between portability and performance - I rarely use my 80mm and my ED50 is pretty much a 'I don't expect to be using a scope much on this longer walk, but might' option (good but, not as good). What suits you might differ. It's always a balance between bulk/weight/carrying distance and performance in less than perfect lighting.
I fully agree with Richard D. (Post #5), but the superbly suited Nikon Fieldscope ED-III suffers from a lack of eyepieces. Fixed optics are great (27-30x would be ideal), but the zooms are way too restricted in their viewing angles. Much depends on whether you can use a scope without eyeglasses, though.

At any rate, I highly recommend getting a travel scope first, you might well decide then that this will be all you need. So better go for a good brand right away. And if affordable, go for a carbon tripod as well.

I replaced a heavy old larger scope with a light 60mm one, easier to use means I don’t dread lugging it about. If you are birding then having a 30+x view on tap to complement your 8-10x bino view is almost obligatory. Enjoy your search for the model that fits your needs and budget best.

Peter
Thanks. Have you had occasion to take your 60mm on a plane? Did it eat up your whole carry-on bag? Just curious?

Not yet, the scope is quite compact and so is the tripod. I can usually squeeze some snacks etc round the pair in a backpack for day carry, I expect the same if I flew with them. Might pop the tripod in the hold luggage as it wouldn’t mind any knocks.

Peter

Thanks. Have you had occasion to take your 60mm on a plane? Did it eat up your whole carry-on bag? Just curious?
I always carry all my optics (scope, binoculars, and camera) in the carry-on luggage. But the tripod goes well padded into the checked luggage. It's always considerably heavier than the 8 kg officially allowed. So far, I have never had any major problems, but I'm always prepared to hang camera and binoculars around my neck. I mostly have to unpack the carry-on, however due to the scanning they can'd do properly.

I recently got into birding myself and I'm always traveling by bicycle. To me, it made sense to try and be as light as possible so I bought a Swarovski 8x25 CL binoculars. My next purchase will also be a lightweight travel scope. I know I won't bring it if it isn't light enough anyway.

I myself have been eying the Swarovski ATC. It looks like you get top quality without getting to heavy. Of course, it comes with a price tag so I'll start saving up.

As mentioned here in the thread, I think it makes sense to buy 2 pair of tripods with these: a lightweight travel tripod for on the road - and a heavy, stable one for when you're going by car and don't have much hiking to do. I think that will make the ATC a perfect choice - at least for me. I don't want to buy a cheaper one and replace it in 2 years because I decided it had crappy optical quality and brightness.

After years of being vexed by waterfowl and field birds, I’d like to get a scope.

I’m attracted to the portability of the smaller travel scopes, like the Kowa 553. I feel like I’ll actually bring them on outings more often, and they seem much better suited to air travel (I have two trips on the books). That said, I’m concerned that they’ll end up being only slightly better than my binoculars.

I’ve been to two vendors and compared scopes in person, but it’s such an artificial environment that I don’t feel like I came away with a good sense of how the smaller scopes would fare. (I even made a superimposition of Google maps to compare sight-lines at the test locations to a familiar spot and a place where I know I’ll be bird watching! 😅)

In your opinion, is a travel scope a good place to start?
If you think a larger scope is a better first investment, what is your experience with traveling with a full size scope?

Yes, travel scope is a great place to start.
Like @Boogieshrew above, Opticron 60 + SDLV3 would me my recommendation.
Portrability, including air travel is not a problem. (I have carried a bigger 66mm scope in my backpack without any issues.)
Good luck!

Podívejte se na levný Kowa TSN-502. Velmi lehký, slušná optická kvalita navzdory absenci ED skla a přímé sledování dává v tomto formátu IMO větší smysl než pod úhlem. Jinak mám Opticron MM4/50 s okulárem SDLv3, je fenomenální, ale zdaleka tak lehký jako Kowa, který si můžete jen tak sbalit do batohu a zapomenout, že ho vůbec máte u sebe, dokud ho nebudete potřebovat.
Zdravím Vás,

chystám se koupit si svůj cestovní monokulár. Důležitá je nízká hmotnost a obrazová kvalita. Hmotnost by měla být do 800g. Vybírám ze 3 variant. KOWA 502, Celestron Hummingbird ED, případně DELTA Optical Titanium 65 ED II.
Instinkt mi říká, že mám věřit kvalitě KOWA i když se nejedná o ED čočky.
Pro krátké pohledy mám binokulár VORTEX VIPER 8x42mm. Je perfektní.
Pro detaily na turistických výletech chci dalekohled s přiblížením cca 20-30x. Vím, že dalekohledy v první polovině svého rozsahu většinou fungují velmi dobře, proto KOWA bude jistě dobrým společníkem.
Moje otázka:
Existují pro KOWA 502 také pevné okuláry?
Myslím, že pevný okulár má jednodužší konstrukci, proto poskytne lepší obrazovou kvalitu, než ZOOM okulár.

Děkuji za odpověď.

Mod translation...
Greetings,

I am about to buy my travel monocular. Light weight and image quality are important. The weight should be up to 800g. I choose from 3 variants. KOWA 502, Celestron Hummingbird ED, or DELTA Optical Titanium 65 ED II.
Instinct tells me to trust the quality of KOWA even though they are not ED lenses.
For short views I have binoculars VORTEX VIPER 8x42mm. Is perfect.
For details on tourist trips, I want binoculars with a zoom of approx. 20-30x. I know that binoculars in the first half of their range usually work very well, so the KOWA will certainly be a good companion.
My question:
Are there also fixed eyepieces for the KOWA 502?
I think the fixed eyepiece has a simpler construction, therefore it will provide better image quality than the ZOOM eyepiece.

Thank you for answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Pentax 65mm angled spotting scopes that take all 1.25" telescope lenses, fixed or variable, which provides a great many options. It is half the weight of the 85mm scopes which is advantageous when traveling. Costs less than $500 and includes an excellent carry case for the scope.

Another one to look at is the Celestron Regal 65ED. It also accepts 1.25" eyepieces, which means you could use pretty much any kind of eyepiece you want. It is excellent quality for the price.

Hi,

I have tested the Kowa 501 and Celestron Hummingbird (I think it was the larger 56mm version) on an astro convention a few years ago side by side and was not really impressed by the Hummingbird. I actually had planned to go to where I was camping with some friends to get my 5mm Nagler to try a higher magnification but what I saw in the zoom EP made me not bother...

The Kowa was surprisingly good for the money and size. The zoom EP is not detachable though, so no option for 1,25" astro EPs.

The Pentax and Celestron 65mm scopes mentioned above will take astro EPs but will be more than 800g...

Joachim

merlot777,

Zvažte také Opticron MM4 50 mm s okulárem se zoomem SDL-V3. Splňuje požadavky, které jste uvedl.

Zoom: 12-36x
Hmotnost: 826 gramů s okulárem

Puškohled má ED sklo. Velmi dobrá kvalita obrazu.

Also consider Opticron MM4 50mm with SDL-V3 zoom eyepiece. It meets the requirements you stated.

Weight: 826 grams with eyepiece

The scope has ED glass. Very good image quality.

Last edited:
ahoj,

Před několika lety jsem testoval Kowa 501 a Celestron Hummingbird (myslím, že to byla větší 56mm verze) na astro konvenci a kolibřík na mě opravdu nezapůsobil. Vlastně jsem měl v plánu jet tam, kde jsem kempoval s několika přáteli, abych si nechal můj 5mm Nagler vyzkoušet větší zvětšení, ale to, co jsem viděl v zoom EP, nepřinutilo se mě neobtěžovat...

Kowa byla dobrá za peníze a velikost. Zoom EP však není odnímatelný, takže žádná možnost pro 1,25" astro EP.

Výše uvedené 65mm dalekohledy Pentax a Celestron vezmou astro EP, ale budou mít více než 800 g...

Joachim
ahoj,
děkuji za postřehy.

Zvolil jsem KOWA 501. Obrazová kvalita je dobrým řešením pro běžného cestovatele. Hmotnost je výtečná.

Kolik lidí, tolik názorů. Záleží na tom, k čemu je dalekohled použít. Někdo leží na střelnici se zbraní, dalekohled stojí vedle něj na stativu. Tady hmotnost není důležitá. Tady je důležité přiblížení a ostrost obrazu.

Někdo dokumentuje divoké ptáky. Má na to čas - může to trvat i hodiny na jednom místě. Tak tedy postaví pevný stativ, použije kvalitní, těžký dalekohled a pak má krásné snímky, nebo videa.

Někdo chodí na výlety po horách, zříceniny hradů, rozhledny, atp., nemůže se na cestě dlouho nikde zdržet a sleduje okolí - to je můj případ.
Vytvořím si s pomocí KOWA 501 svůj vlastní standard kvality obrazu.
Pokud bude třeba hledat další dalekohled, například pro discoping, budu už vědět, jaké jsou moje minimální obrazové nároky.

Poznámka:
Já jsem nosil na cestu základní foto výbavu o hmotnosti cca 2,5-3kg + brašna + osobní věci.
Canon EOS 7D s bateriovým gripem + objektiv Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM. Tento objektiv váží 860g. K tomu jsem nosil ještě širokoúhlý Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM (cca 300g), nebo naopak Canon EF 100mm F/2,8 Macro USM (cca 600g).
Je to velmi těžké na procházky v horách.

Dnes mám stejnou brašnu přes rameno, ale uvnitř pouze kompaktní foťák Canon G7X (cca 300g) a několik osobních drobností.
Pořídil jsem si binokulár VORTEX VIPER 8x42 HD (cca 700g), který budu nosit v brašně na hrudníku.
K tomu potřebuji lehký světelný dalekohled na vzdálené objekty (zvolil jsem KOWA 501 s hmotností cca 400g). Budu muset ještě nosit kompaktní stativ Gitzo Traveler (série 1) s Gitzo kulovou hlavou. Stativ (1kg) i hlava (400g) v cestovním pouzdře s popruhem váží dohromady cca 2kg. Nosnost stativového systému do 10kg je zárukou, že dalekohled bude na stabilní základně.

Celková hmotnost výbavy je tedy podobná, ale je jinak rozložena a má více možností pro pozorování. Pokud je potřeba některé výhledy dokumentovat, pak je kompaktní Canon G7X k dispozici.

Radim

Last edited:
merlot777,

Zvažte také Opticron MM4 50 mm s okulárem se zoomem SDL-V3. Splňuje požadavky, které jste uvedli.

Zvažte také Opticron MM4 50 mm s okulárem se zoomem SDL-V3. Splňuje požadavky, které jste uvedl.

ahoj,
děkuji za dobrý tip. Už jsem na odborných diskusích o značce Opticron četl.

Model, který uvádí, vyhovuje dobře mým potřebám. Bohužel značku Opticron v České republice nekoupím. Tady ji žádný obchod nenabízí k prodeji.
Já nechci objednat dalekohled ze zahraničí. Chci mít servis na území České republiky.

Rozhodl jsem se pro KOWA 501. Má jasný a ostrý obraz až k okrajům, přestože to není ED sklo. Když půjdeme až do podrobností, tak tento dalekohled trpí velmi malou soudkovitostí, to není pro můj účel rozhodující. Také nemá sluneční clonu, ale tyto malé dalekohledy jsou takto konstrukčně provedeny - s tím se nedá nic dělat.

Přeji příjemný den.

ahoj,
děkuji za dobrý tip. Už jsem na odborných diskusích o značce Opticron četl.

Model, který uvádí, vyhovuje dobře mým potřebám. Bohužel značku Opticron v České republice nekoupím. Tady ji žádný obchod nenabízí k prodeji.
Já nechci objednat dalekohled ze zahraničí. Chci mít servis na území České republiky.

Rozhodl jsem se pro KOWA 501. Má jasný a ostrý obraz až k okrajům, přestože to není ED sklo. Když půjdeme až do podrobností, tak tento dalekohled trpí velmi malou soudkovitostí, to není pro můj účel rozhodující. Také nemá sluneční clonu, ale tyto malé dalekohledy jsou takto konstrukčně provedeny - s tím se nedá nic dělat.

Přeji příjemný den.
Ahoj,
Zdá se, že jste našli dobré řešení.

Na mezinárodním fóru může být obtížné doporučit produkty, protože (jak jste sdíleli) ne všechny produkty se prodávají ve všech zemích. Schopnost získat službu ve vaší zemi je důležitá.

Užijte si rozsah!

Hi,
It sounds like you found a good solution.

With an international forum it can be difficult to recommend products because (as you shared) not all products are sold in all countries. Being able to get service in your country is important.

Enjoy the scope!

Unless I plan on digiscoping with my iphone I leave my scope at home at take 12x50 binoculars instead. They work well enough in most situations and no need to manage a tripod. Even my 10x25 binos work quite well and at 12 ounces are not a problem to leave hanging around my neck when I am out with my camera and a telephoto lens.

We do have a dealer in Czechia:

Whilst they don't hold stock of the MM scopes, they are able to purchase any of our products.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Unless I plan on digiscoping with my iphone I leave my scope at home at take 12x50 binoculars instead. They work well enough in most situations and no need to manage a tripod. Even my 10x25 binos work quite well and at 12 ounces are not a problem to leave hanging around my neck when I am out with my camera and a telephoto lens.
For that post on the scope forum I order you to leave immediately and go and stand in a corner until you have adequately repented! ;)

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back