• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IS Binocular Comparison: Kite 16x42 vs Fuji 12x28 (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
I have two IS binoculars:

Kite APC 16x42
Fuji 12x28 TS1228 Techno-Stabi

Here is a brief review of them, with a comparison.

First the commonality: the stabilization works very very well in both of them; well enough that they are usable when I am a passenger in a car.

Optically, the Kite have a larger apparent field of view, and give noticeably more detail. In intuitive terms, I would say that the step up from 8x to 12x is twice as large as that from 12x to 16x, but the step from 12 oto 16 is certainly noticeable. The Kite have very good design: they use AA batteries, their housing also stores spare batteries, they are water resistant, and they have a very handy orientation-sensitive switch that turns them off when pointing down. The drawback is that while light for a 42mm with stabilization (under 800g) the Kite are somewhat large, and have an unwieldy bag, so they do take their space in your backpack. Also, I find the Kite do not have sufficient eye relief to be a pleasure to use with sunglasses.

The Fuji are very light (lighter than my 8x32 Ultravids!), and also very sharp. They use expensive CR3 batteries, and they do not have the orientation-sensitive switch, but on the plus side, they have excellent eye relief, so that using them with sunglasses is a pleasure, on par with my Ultravid 7x42. One might think the exit pupil is rather small, but the stabilization really helps, and it's really easy to position these binoculars even when wearing glasses.

In practice, I find they fill two different niches.

If you want to observe far-away coastal birds, the Kite are great. You take them as your main binoculars, and they will give you plenty of detail.

On the other hand, if you are hiking, and want a pair of higher-power binoculars to ID far-away birds, the Fujinons are the better choice. They are much lighter, smaller, they fit better in the backpack, they are easier to carry alongside the main binocular, and if you are hiking in the sun, they are very easy to use even if you are wearing sunglasses.
I would not take the Fuji as my main binoculars for hiking; the 12x make the DOF too shallow and the field of vision too small to quickly find active birds. But as an auxiliary pair to ID distant birds, they are wonderful.

I have two IS binoculars:

Kite APC 16x42
Fuji 12x28 TS1228 Techno-Stabi

Here is a brief review of them, with a comparison.

First the commonality: the stabilization works very very well in both of them; well enough that they are usable when I am a passenger in a car.

Optically, the Kite have a larger apparent field of view, and give noticeably more detail. In intuitive terms, I would say that the step up from 8x to 12x is twice as large as that from 12x to 16x, but the step from 12 oto 16 is certainly noticeable. The Kite have very good design: they use AA batteries, their housing also stores spare batteries, they are water resistant, and they have a very handy orientation-sensitive switch that turns them off when pointing down. The drawback is that while light for a 42mm with stabilization (under 800g) the Kite are somewhat large, and have an unwieldy bag, so they do take their space in your backpack. Also, I find the Kite do not have sufficient eye relief to be a pleasure to use with sunglasses.

The Fuji are very light (lighter than my 8x32 Ultravids!), and also very sharp. They use expensive CR3 batteries, and they do not have the orientation-sensitive switch, but on the plus side, they have excellent eye relief, so that using them with sunglasses is a pleasure, on par with my Ultravid 7x42. One might think the exit pupil is rather small, but the stabilization really helps, and it's really easy to position these binoculars even when wearing glasses.

In practice, I find they fill two different niches.

If you want to observe far-away coastal birds, the Kite are great. You take them as your main binoculars, and they will give you plenty of detail.

On the other hand, if you are hiking, and want a pair of higher-power binoculars to ID far-away birds, the Fujinons are the better choice. They are much lighter, smaller, they fit better in the backpack, they are easier to carry alongside the main binocular, and if you are hiking in the sun, they are very easy to use even if you are wearing sunglasses.
I would not take the Fuji as my main binoculars for hiking; the 12x make the DOF too shallow and the field of vision too small to quickly find active birds. But as an auxiliary pair to ID distant birds, they are wonderful.
Comparing such varied apertures and magnifications is like trying to compare bananas to apples.

Comparing such varied apertures and magnifications is like trying to compare bananas to apples.
to compare - yes
to compliment - maybe

thanks for the review, I have been wondering what happened to the Kite APC 16x42
It had a lot of praise, then seemed to drop off the earth
My complimentary pair are a Fujinon TSX 14x40 and Zeiss 8x32 FL - they work for me.

edj

Also check out the Sig Sauer Zulu6 16x42mm - Graphite
Introducing the ZULU6 series of image-stabilized binoculars from SIG SAUER. With its 2-axis gimbal providing razor-sharp optical image stabilization, the ZULU6 compensates for natural human motion providing the clarity of a mounted spotting scope in a handheld, portable package. The ZULU6’s lightweight construction, spectracoat, lenshield, and lensarmor technology means that it is ready for any environment. Available in a 10x and 16x magnification, the ZULU6 is guaranteed to provide extreme clarity with unmatched image stability.

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Weight20.0 oz
Dimensions7.1"
ColorGraphite
ADDITIONAL FEATURES
Features
  • Infinite Guarantee
  • LensArmor™
  • SpectraCoat™
  • Stealth ID™
  • OIS™ Optical Image Stabilization
Magnification Factor16x
Objective Size42.0 mm
Exit Pupil56 - 75mm
Eye Relief14.0mm
Close Focus8.2m
Linear Field of View3.8m to 100m
CoatingSpectraCoat
Prism TypeSchmidt-Pechan
Tripod AdaptedYes
Weather ProtectionWaterproof

Also the Fuji TS series is being superseded by the new TSX, as in the TSX1440 that reportedly has stunning stabillization.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back