• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is IS for the birds? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
Nearly every day! My 'go-to' bino for lockdown walks up the local headland or down by the coast. Remarkably fast and stable IS system. Lightweight and pocketable in a bellows pocket. Locating the IS button while they're held to the eyes takes some getting used to, but that's a,minor quibble. Lovely binos, thank you for the recommendation!
The Canons work good. I just wish they would make them look more like a normal binocular. The Canon 8x20 looks like a toy. The Canon 10x42 IS-L has superb optics, but I wish it wasn't so brick shaped.

Sancho

The Canons work good. I just wish they would make them look more like a normal binocular. The Canon 8x20 looks like a toy. The Canon 10x42 IS-L has superb optics, but I wish it wasn't so brick shaped.
I understand...channelling the plastic toy look! But the 8x20 is a marked improvement on the 'old' 8x25 IS. I think it's robust enough, and very light. The old 8x25 really did 'feel' as though it came out of a Lucky Bag. Although it had a 'jumpy' IS button, I really liked the optics. One thing I really love about canon IS binos (although it may seem counter-intuitive) is using them for close-up birding. Looking at birds on feeders in my tiny back yard, I can really study every fibre on every feather, with the IS engaged. The IS 8x20 is a purchase I'm very happy with.

Rich27B

Hi Sancho,

Would I be right in thinking you've also had experience with the 10x30? I'm interested in my first IS binocular and weighing up either the 8x20 or 10x30. I've struggled to find any comparisons of pros and cons so if you have any thoughts then I'd be very grateful. Sounds like 8x20 has a better IS system and wider FOV but 10x30 obviously has the extra mag and a higher AFOV so maybe a bit less tunnel-like?

I've a pretty strong hand tremor so think IS may need to become my main birding bins but I can't stretch to the higher price models at this point so trying to work out what would be the best intro IS bins.

Thanks for your help!

[email protected]

Supporter
I understand...channelling the plastic toy look! But the 8x20 is a marked improvement on the 'old' 8x25 IS. I think it's robust enough, and very light. The old 8x25 really did 'feel' as though it came out of a Lucky Bag. Although it had a 'jumpy' IS button, I really liked the optics. One thing I really love about canon IS binos (although it may seem counter-intuitive) is using them for close-up birding. Looking at birds on feeders in my tiny back yard, I can really study every fibre on every feather, with the IS engaged. The IS 8x20 is a purchase I'm very happy with.
Good! I am glad my recommendation worked out for you.

[email protected]

Supporter
Hi Sancho,

Would I be right in thinking you've also had experience with the 10x30? I'm interested in my first IS binocular and weighing up either the 8x20 or 10x30. I've struggled to find any comparisons of pros and cons so if you have any thoughts then I'd be very grateful. Sounds like 8x20 has a better IS system and wider FOV but 10x30 obviously has the extra mag and a higher AFOV so maybe a bit less tunnel-like?

I've a pretty strong hand tremor so think IS may need to become my main birding bins but I can't stretch to the higher price models at this point so trying to work out what would be the best intro IS bins.

Thanks for your help!
I have had both of those Canons. If you have a strong hand tremor I would go with the Canon 8x20 IS because the IS system is image shift versus vari-angle prism in the older 10x30 IS, so it is more effective at cancelling vibrations plus 8x is easier to stabilize because it is a lower magnification. You will get a steadier view with the 8x20 IS than you will with the 10x30 IS. In fact the view with the 8x20 IS is rock solid.

Rich27B

I have had both of those Canons. If you have a strong hand tremor I would go with the Canon 8x20 IS because the IS system is image shift versus vari-angle prism in the older 10x30 IS, so it is more effective at cancelling vibrations plus 8x is easier to stabilize because it is a lower magnification. You will get a steadier view with the 8x20 IS than you will with the 10x30 IS. In fact the view with the 8x20 IS is rock solid.
Great, thanks for your help Dennis. Much appreciated

Sancho

Hi Sancho,

Thanks for your help!

Hi Sancho,

Thanks for your help!
Hi Rich, sorry for late reply. I prefer the 8x20 for it's size, weight and IS activation. The 10x30 is no slouch though, and I think cheaper. Optically pretty similar to my eyes, I think you'd be happy with either but I concur with Dennis. I'd choose the 8x20.

[email protected]

Supporter
Hi Rich, sorry for late reply. I prefer the 8x20 for it's size, weight and IS activation. The 10x30 is no slouch though, and I think cheaper. Optically pretty similar to my eyes, I think you'd be happy with either but I concur with Dennis. I'd choose the 8x20.
i would say both are very good depending on if you want 8x or 10x for the better detail. But the 8x20 IS is steadier.

Hermann

Nearly every day! My 'go-to' bino for lockdown walks up the local headland or down by the coast. Remarkably fast and stable IS system. Lightweight and pocketable in a bellows pocket. Locating the IS button while they're held to the eyes takes some getting used to, but that's a,minor quibble. Lovely binos, thank you for the recommendation!
I agree. The 8x20 is a really nice little binocular with good to very good optics and an excellent IS system. I don't think they'll survive rough use but then I don't use them when the going gets tough. My first Canon IS binocular and probably not my last - provided Canon finally makes a few more models with a wider diopter adjustment range.

Hermann

bockos

Не се притеснявам от формата на бинокъла, неговото тегло. Кой би бил добър избор на бинокли с 14x ... 15x..18x ... приближение стабилизирани бинокли с IS? Fujinon 14x 40 TS-X или Canon 15x50 18x50 ... Интересувам се от качеството на оптиката на бинокъла. Интересува ме качеството на системата за стабилизация на IS на бинокъла? Без омекотяване и артефакти. БЛАГОДАРЯ.

bockos

Не се притеснявам от формата на бинокъл, неговото тегло. Кой би бил добър избор за бинокли с 14x ... 15x..18x ... приближаване на стабилизирани бинокли с IS? Fujinon 14x 40 TS-X или Canon 15x50 18x50 ... Интересувам се от качеството на оптиката на бинокъл. Интересувате ли избор на система за стабилизация на IS на бинокъл? Без омекотяване и артефакти. БЛАГОДАРЯ.
IS бинокъл с 14-15 х .. Преносим около 1,2 кг ... като малък обхват за наблюдение на природата. Като втори бинокъл до 8x42 ..

Users who are viewing this thread