• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is IS for the birds? (1 Viewer)

The Canons work good. I just wish they would make them look more like a normal binocular. The Canon 8x20 looks like a toy. The Canon 10x42 IS-L has superb optics, but I wish it wasn't so brick shaped.

if the optics are good, they are mechanical sound, feels good in your hands,why care about appearance?

edj

The Canons work good. I just wish they would make them look more like a normal binocular. The Canon 8x20 looks like a toy. The Canon 10x42 IS-L has superb optics, but I wish it wasn't so brick shaped.
I understand...channelling the plastic toy look! But the 8x20 is a marked improvement on the 'old' 8x25 IS. I think it's robust enough, and very light. The old 8x25 really did 'feel' as though it came out of a Lucky Bag. Although it had a 'jumpy' IS button, I really liked the optics. One thing I really love about canon IS binos (although it may seem counter-intuitive) is using them for close-up birding. Looking at birds on feeders in my tiny back yard, I can really study every fibre on every feather, with the IS engaged. The IS 8x20 is a purchase I'm very happy with.

Hi Sancho,

Would I be right in thinking you've also had experience with the 10x30? I'm interested in my first IS binocular and weighing up either the 8x20 or 10x30. I've struggled to find any comparisons of pros and cons so if you have any thoughts then I'd be very grateful. Sounds like 8x20 has a better IS system and wider FOV but 10x30 obviously has the extra mag and a higher AFOV so maybe a bit less tunnel-like?

I've a pretty strong hand tremor so think IS may need to become my main birding bins but I can't stretch to the higher price models at this point so trying to work out what would be the best intro IS bins.

Thanks for your help!

I understand...channelling the plastic toy look! But the 8x20 is a marked improvement on the 'old' 8x25 IS. I think it's robust enough, and very light. The old 8x25 really did 'feel' as though it came out of a Lucky Bag. Although it had a 'jumpy' IS button, I really liked the optics. One thing I really love about canon IS binos (although it may seem counter-intuitive) is using them for close-up birding. Looking at birds on feeders in my tiny back yard, I can really study every fibre on every feather, with the IS engaged. The IS 8x20 is a purchase I'm very happy with.
Good! I am glad my recommendation worked out for you.

Hi Sancho,

Would I be right in thinking you've also had experience with the 10x30? I'm interested in my first IS binocular and weighing up either the 8x20 or 10x30. I've struggled to find any comparisons of pros and cons so if you have any thoughts then I'd be very grateful. Sounds like 8x20 has a better IS system and wider FOV but 10x30 obviously has the extra mag and a higher AFOV so maybe a bit less tunnel-like?

I've a pretty strong hand tremor so think IS may need to become my main birding bins but I can't stretch to the higher price models at this point so trying to work out what would be the best intro IS bins.

Thanks for your help!
I have had both of those Canons. If you have a strong hand tremor I would go with the Canon 8x20 IS because the IS system is image shift versus vari-angle prism in the older 10x30 IS, so it is more effective at cancelling vibrations plus 8x is easier to stabilize because it is a lower magnification. You will get a steadier view with the 8x20 IS than you will with the 10x30 IS. In fact the view with the 8x20 IS is rock solid.

I have had both of those Canons. If you have a strong hand tremor I would go with the Canon 8x20 IS because the IS system is image shift versus vari-angle prism in the older 10x30 IS, so it is more effective at cancelling vibrations plus 8x is easier to stabilize because it is a lower magnification. You will get a steadier view with the 8x20 IS than you will with the 10x30 IS. In fact the view with the 8x20 IS is rock solid.
Great, thanks for your help Dennis. Much appreciated

Hi Sancho,

Thanks for your help!

Hi Sancho,

Thanks for your help!
Hi Rich, sorry for late reply. I prefer the 8x20 for it's size, weight and IS activation. The 10x30 is no slouch though, and I think cheaper. Optically pretty similar to my eyes, I think you'd be happy with either but I concur with Dennis. I'd choose the 8x20.

Hi Rich, sorry for late reply. I prefer the 8x20 for it's size, weight and IS activation. The 10x30 is no slouch though, and I think cheaper. Optically pretty similar to my eyes, I think you'd be happy with either but I concur with Dennis. I'd choose the 8x20.
i would say both are very good depending on if you want 8x or 10x for the better detail. But the 8x20 IS is steadier.

Nearly every day! My 'go-to' bino for lockdown walks up the local headland or down by the coast. Remarkably fast and stable IS system. Lightweight and pocketable in a bellows pocket. Locating the IS button while they're held to the eyes takes some getting used to, but that's a,minor quibble. Lovely binos, thank you for the recommendation!
I agree. The 8x20 is a really nice little binocular with good to very good optics and an excellent IS system. I don't think they'll survive rough use but then I don't use them when the going gets tough. My first Canon IS binocular and probably not my last - provided Canon finally makes a few more models with a wider diopter adjustment range.

Hermann

Не се притеснявам от формата на бинокъла, неговото тегло. Кой би бил добър избор на бинокли с 14x ... 15x..18x ... приближение стабилизирани бинокли с IS? Fujinon 14x 40 TS-X или Canon 15x50 18x50 ... Интересувам се от качеството на оптиката на бинокъла. Интересува ме качеството на системата за стабилизация на IS на бинокъла? Без омекотяване и артефакти. БЛАГОДАРЯ.

Не се притеснявам от формата на бинокъл, неговото тегло. Кой би бил добър избор за бинокли с 14x ... 15x..18x ... приближаване на стабилизирани бинокли с IS? Fujinon 14x 40 TS-X или Canon 15x50 18x50 ... Интересувам се от качеството на оптиката на бинокъл. Интересувате ли избор на система за стабилизация на IS на бинокъл? Без омекотяване и артефакти. БЛАГОДАРЯ.
IS бинокъл с 14-15 х .. Преносим около 1,2 кг ... като малък обхват за наблюдение на природата. Като втори бинокъл до 8x42 ..

Не се притеснявам от формата на бинокъла, неговото тегло. Кой би бил добър избор на бинокли с 14x ... 15x..18x ... приближение стабилизирани бинокли с IS? Fujinon 14x 40 TS-X или Canon 15x50 18x50 ... Интересувам се от качеството на оптиката на бинокъла. Интересува ме качеството на системата за стабилизация на IS на бинокъла? Без омекотяване и артефакти. БЛАГОДАРЯ.

"I do not worry about the shape of the binoculars, its weight. Which would be a good choice of binoculars with 14x ... 15x..18x ... approximation stabilized binoculars with IS? Fujinon 14x 40 TS-X or Canon 15x50 18x50 ... I am interested in the quality of the binoculars' optics. I am interested in the quality of the IS stabilization system for the binoculars? Without softening and artifacts. THANKS."

"I do not worry about the shape of the binoculars, its weight. Which would be a good choice of binoculars with 14x ... 15x..18x ... approximation stabilized binoculars with IS? Fujinon 14x 40 TS-X or Canon 15x50 18x50 ... I am interested in the quality of the binoculars' optics. I am interested in the quality of the IS stabilization system for the binoculars? Without softening and artifacts. THANKS."
I have had all the IS binoculars and without a doubt the Fujinon14x40 TS-X is superior and steadier than any of the Canon IS systems including the newer image shift. The only IS binocular that would beat the Fujinon 14x40 TS-X would be the full gyro Fujinon Stabiscope IS binoculars which are $3 to $5K or the Frasers IS which run about the same.

IS бинокъл с 14-15 х .. Преносим около 1,2 кг ... като малък обхват за наблюдение на природата. Като втори бинокъл до 8x42 ..

"IS binoculars with 14-15 x. Portable about 1.2 kg ... as a small range for nature observation. As a second binocular up to 8x42."

I frankly am baffled that IS is not yet a universal feature for all alpha binoculars.
Whether shore birds or warblers, IS gives a vastly clearer view, as the background no longer competes with the objects of interest. It is simply a transformation, the leaves stay put, the bird(s) move.
Obviously there are several IS options, Canon's is the most birding oriented, Fujinon's more targeted at sailors. But all of them just transform the biding experience. Please try using an IS glass before your next binocular purchasing decision.

I frankly am baffled that IS is not yet a universal feature for all alpha binoculars.
Whether shore birds or warblers, IS gives a vastly clearer view, as the background no longer competes with the objects of interest. It is simply a transformation, the leaves stay put, the bird(s) move.
Obviously there are several IS options, Canon's is the most birding oriented, Fujinon's more targeted at sailors. But all of them just transform the biding experience. Please try using an IS glass before your next binocular purchasing decision.
What IS binocular did you have? Was it the Canon 10x42 IS-L? How do you like it, and what would you change on it if you could?

Имах всички бинокли за IS и без съмнение Fujinon14x40 TS-X е по-добър и по-стабилен от която и да е от системите на Canon IS, включително по-новата смяна на изображението. Единственият бинокъл IS, който би победил Fujinon 14x40 TS-X, би бил бинокълът Fujinon Stabiscope IS с пълен жироскоп, който е от 3 до 5 000 USD, или Frasers IS, които работят приблизително същото.
Благодаря ви още веднъж.

if the optics are good, they are mechanical sound, feels good in your hands,why care about appearance?

edj
There wouldn't be a whole thread on the best looking binoculars if birders didn't care about how their binoculars looked. I think if they made the Canons more mainstream "looking" they would sell better to the hunters and birders because you have a certain expectation of what a binocular should look like and some people just don't care for the Canons because of their appearance. It is the same reason you buy a certain model of car. Your decision is not just based on performance and reliability. The car has to appeal to you esthetically.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back