• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is IS for the birds? (1 Viewer)

Wonder how those night vision bins compare to the Pulsar Thermal Scopes? I'm guessing you can actually observe through them instead of just using them to spot stuff, but I'm also guessing that the Puslar scope will be WAY better for spotting stuff?

Wonder how those night vision bins compare to the Pulsar Thermal Scopes? I'm guessing you can actually observe through them instead of just using them to spot stuff, but I'm also guessing that the Puslar scope will be WAY better for spotting stuff?
Your right I. I have the FLIR Scout III Handheld Thermal Imaging Monocular and it is awesome for spotting stuff. It just reads the thermal image of the object. The Pulsar Thermal Scopes are similar to the FLIR.

https://www.amazon.com/FLIR-Scout-III-Handheld-Imager/dp/B07TWP5QBJ

Attachments

• 4187H5zyzDL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    4187H5zyzDL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Your right I. I have the FLIR Scout III Handheld Thermal Imaging Monocular and it is awesome for spotting stuff. It just reads the thermal image of the object. The Pulsar Thermal Scopes are similar to the FLIR.

I've used the Pulsar scopes a fair bit, they're amazing for spotting mammals, owls, and roosting diurnal birds. Just a game changer IMHO. We're thread drifting here but have your compared your FLIR to any Pulsars?

My comment was perhaps not clear - I've never used an "night vision" type products. My gut says you're better off with a thermal scope, bins, and a torch, than you are with night vision bins, but I don't know as I've never used any.

I've used the Pulsar scopes a fair bit, they're amazing for spotting mammals, owls, and roosting diurnal birds. Just a game changer IMHO. We're thread drifting here but have your compared your FLIR to any Pulsars?

My comment was perhaps not clear - I've never used an "night vision" type products. My gut says you're better off with a thermal scope, bins, and a torch, than you are with night vision bins, but I don't know as I've never used any.
No, I haven't compared FLIR to Pulsars but I hear they are both good. I have used night vision binoculars and monoculars. You have to get a generation 2 or above to see much, and they start getting expensive. Here is another Fujinon Day and Night Vision Stabiscope on eBay used for $8K.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujinon-St...738199?hash=item46a09398d7:g:Ht0AAOSwoMdcvTGG

Last edited:
The Canon 8x20 IS is a much better binocular than the older Canon 8x25 IS and it is has excellent resolution and with the IS on it is rock steady. I used it last night before it snowed.
I've just ordered a pair of IS8x20. I got a good deal on a pair from the UK, and can use a UK delivery address to reduce postage (a courier company brings stuff over here in bulk and I can collect it at a local 'parcel motel'. Presumably all this will change when Full Brexit kicks in, plus we'll have to pay import duties, so this will be the last pair of binos I buy from England! Probably a good thing;)).

Last edited:
The Canon 8x20 IS is a much better binocular than the older Canon 8x25 IS and it is has excellent resolution and with the IS on it is rock steady. I used it last night before it snowed.
I've just ordered a pair of IS8x20. I got a good deal on a pair from the UK, and can use a UK delivery address to reduce postage (a courier company brings stuff over here in bulk and I can collect it at a local 'parcel motel'. Presumably all this will change when Full Brexit kicks in, plus we'll have to pay VAT and duties, so this will be the last pair of binos I buy from England! Probably a good thing, time to give up;)).

I seem to have regressed.... from a long time user of IS to a wide angle Porro user... who knows what I’ll end up using next?!
For finding stuff at night you’re best off using a torch to spot eyes or using a thermal... blasted things blend in rather too well with their surroundings using regular night vision :-( The crappy look owls give you when they work out that you can see them rather better than they wish you could! (Priceless!)

Finally IS might become so popular I might see another one in the wild!

Peter

I seem to have regressed.... from a long time user of IS to a wide angle Porro user... who knows what I’ll end up using next?!
For finding stuff at night you’re best off using a torch to spot eyes or using a thermal... blasted things blend in rather too well with their surroundings using regular night vision :-( The crappy look owls give you when they work out that you can see them rather better than they wish you could! (Priceless!)

Finally IS might become so popular I might see another one in the wild!

Peter
If you use a torch you scare them away and give away your position. Thermals are the best! I can spot every animal in my yard at night. It is funny to watch them when they think you can't see them as you say.

I've just ordered a pair of IS8x20. I got a good deal on a pair from the UK, and can use a UK delivery address to reduce postage (a courier company brings stuff over here in bulk and I can collect it at a local 'parcel motel'. Presumably all this will change when Full Brexit kicks in, plus we'll have to pay VAT and duties, so this will be the last pair of binos I buy from England! Probably a good thing, time to give up;)).
You will like the Canon 8x20 IS. I just had mine out comparing them to my Canon 12x36 IS III and the 8x20's are ROCK steady, whereas, the 12x36 moves a tiny bit because of the higher magnification. The Canon 8x20 might seem a little cheap and plasticky to you but don't let appearances fool you. They are superb optically. The FOV is a little small, but they are sharp so give them a chance and you will be surprised how much detail you can see. Try reading some signs and license plates from a distance. Once you settle down with them, it is just like a binocular on a tripod. They are very light around your neck also, so they make a good hiking binocular. The case they come with is like a little velvet bag so it isn't that great, so I have mine in a Zeiss Conquest 8x42 case.

https://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Cordura-Conquest-Terra-Binocular/dp/B0018IQQA6

Attachments

• 51vYUBUkoeL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    51vYUBUkoeL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Dennis, I wonder if you find the 12x36 less stable than the 8x20 not because of the higher magnification, but because of the older vari-angle prism tech. When "powered IS" is on, I find the 14x32 with the newer lens-shift IS to be perfectly steady even in heavy wind.

Dennis, I wonder if you find the 12x36 less stable than the 8x20 not because of the higher magnification, but because of the older vari-angle prism tech. When "powered IS" is on, I find the 14x32 with the newer lens-shift IS to be perfectly steady even in heavy wind.
That could be very well be. I notice fewer artifacts in the 8x20 IS which uses lens-shift IS than the 12x36 IS III which uses vari-angle IS also once it settles down and the 8x20 IS also has less CA than the 12x36 but the best IS, as far as I am concerned is the Fujinon. NO artifacts, NO softening of the image, very little CA and a rock steady view. The Canon 14x32 IS didn't work well for me because the eye cups were too short for my shallow eye sockets. For some reason the little Canon 8x20 IS is perfect with its rubber eye cups. I kind of wrap my hands around it and it is really a comfortable little binocular to use. It is so light there doesn't even seem like there is any glass in it. Even though it is kind of cheap looking I like it.

Last edited:
I bought a Canon 14x32 IS. I want to try them again with the newer lens shift IS. The Canon 8x20 IS with the lens shift IS seems to have better IS than the 12x36 IS III with the vari-angle prism. I will compare them to the Fujinon 14x40 TSX. That should be a pretty good comparison.

The Battle of the 14x IS binoculars! Heavyweight Fujinon 14x40 TSX in one corner versus the lightweight Canon 14x32 IS in the other corner. Who will prevail and be the king of the IS binoculars? Coming soon to this channel!

The Canon 8x20 might seem a little cheap and plasticky to you but don't let appearances fool you.They are superb optically.

I used the Canons for over 150 hours in the field by now, and I quite like them. However, I'd call them "pretty good" optically, perhaps even "very good", but they're NOT "superb".

Definitely not.

Hermann

The newer Image Shift Stabilization as used on the Canon 8x20 IS, 10x20 IS,10x32 IS, 12x32 IS and 14x32 IS and the Nikon 10x25 IS is so superior, as far as, artifacts and steadiness I would not buy the older Canon with the VA Prism IS that is used on the older Canons like the 8x25 IS, 10x30 IS II, 10x42 IS-L, 12x36 IS III, 15x50 IS and the 18x50 IS. The VA Prism looks like you are looking through moving water compared to the Image Shift Stabilization.

Last edited:
The newer Image Shift Stabilization as used on the Canon 8x20 IS, 10x20 IS,10x32 IS, 12x32 IS and 14x32 IS and the Nikon 10x25 IS is so superior, as far as, artifacts and steadiness I would not buy the older Canon with the VA Prism IS that is used on the older Canons like the 8x25 IS, 10x30 IS II, 10x42 IS-L, 12x36 IS III, 15x50 IS and the 18x50 IS. The VA Prism looks like you are looking through moving water compared to the Image Shift Stabilization.
Having bought the 10x32 IS a month ago (at an excellent price) I agree that there's a real difference between the variable angle prism "image stabilization", which isn't bad, and the POWERD lens shift, which is positively excellent. I may post in more detail some time about these bins, but basically I'm extremely pleased. My 10x42 SVs may be optically superior, but I can't hold them still enough now. The 10x32s are my "go to" bins, for sure.

Having bought the 10x32 IS a month ago (at an excellent price) I agree that there's a real difference between the variable angle prism "image stabilization", which isn't bad, and the POWERD lens shift, which is positively excellent. I may post in more detail some time about these bins, but basically I'm extremely pleased. My 10x42 SVs may be optically superior, but I can't hold them still enough now. The 10x32s are my "go to" bins, for sure.
It will be interesting to compare the Canon 14x32 IS with the Powered lens shift stabilization to the Fujinon 14x40 TSX. I am thinking the Fujinon will still have a little better stabilization. Big difference in weight though with the Canons being almost a pound lighter. The Fujinon will have the advantage of the bigger aperture and probably better CA control also. I get those two next week.

After a year of research and checking binoculars in person, I treated myself to a pair of Swarovski 7x42 SLCs in 2001. Then my wife, based on our experiences with a Canon 10x30 IS we bought for her dad, gave me a pair of Canon 12x36 IIs for Christmas in 2004. They quickly became my main birding binocular, providing better, more detailed views than the 7x42s. My only real issue was the lack of close focus, which was also an issue with the 7x42s.

I replace the 12x36s with a pair of the new 12x32s early last year. At my older age I appreciate the advantage of the IS even more.

For wet weather or the desire for a wider true field and close focus, I have a pair of 8x32s. They don't get used often.

Clear skies, Alan

After a year of research and checking binoculars in person, I treated myself to a pair of Swarovski 7x42 SLCs in 2001. Then my wife, based on our experiences with a Canon 10x30 IS we bought for her dad, gave me a pair of Canon 12x36 IIs for Christmas in 2004. They quickly became my main birding binocular, providing better, more detailed views than the 7x42s. My only real issue was the lack of close focus, which was also an issue with the 7x42s.

I replace the 12x36s with a pair of the new 12x32s early last year. At my older age I appreciate the advantage of the IS even more.

For wet weather or the desire for a wider true field and close focus, I have a pair of 8x32s. They don't get used often.

Clear skies, Alan
Alan. Do you like your Canon 12x32s IS more than your 12x36s IS II ? Do you feel the IS is better with the lens shift on the 12x32s versus the VA prism on the 12x36s? Watch the review coming next week.

Last edited:
Alan. Do you like your Canon 12x32s IS more than your 12x36s IS II ? Do you feel the IS is better with the lens shift on the 12x32s versus the VA prism on the 12x36s? Watch the review coming next week.

With the half price offering when I bought them, and no local availability, I violated my "Try before you buy" policy. Fortunately, I was not disappointed. Folded down, the eye eyecups are perfect for my glasses. (Although I rarely use them without glasses, folding the inner halves down makes them quite agreeable without glasses.)

I had both for a few months before giving the 12x36 to relatives. I did find the new IS provided improved stabilization. It wasn't a big difference, but was obvious. The ergonomics, fit and feel, are also an improvement.

I like having them stay on after pushing the button more than expected. With the 12x36 the button was right under the end of a finger, so having to hold it was not an issue. The new location did take some getting used to.

Having excellent close focus is a big improvement over my 7x42s and 12x36s. It was surprising how often I was just a bit too close with those.

I had hoped to try the 14x32s at a trade show in the spring, but it was, of course, canceled. For me, I think the 12x versions provide the best balance between magnification and true field, but I have a 15x50 I use for astronomy and keep where I can see the back yard and bird feeders. The 12x32 stay on my desk, where I can see the bird houses and front yard, and go with my when I'm out and about.

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back