• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is IS for the birds? (1 Viewer)

The IS of the APC 16x42 works very well and I am pretty sure you're going to like it. In particular, unlike the IS of the Fujinon, it is totally silent. It will be interesting to see if you will prefer the Kite to Fujinon----I look forward to reading your comparative review.
Yes, Kite is shipping them now. I got the last one they had in stock. I guess I get 21% refunded for the VAT. I will write a review when I get them. Is the IS totally rock steady at 16x and no jitters at all on the APC? That is why the Fujinon is superior to the Canons. Thanks, for the tip. I look forward to trying them.

Last edited:
Is this the "New Canon and Swarovski Killer?" Coming soon to this channel. Review of the REVOLUTIONARY Kite APC 16x42 IS Binocular! Only 28 oz. Waterproof to IPX7 and Nitrogen Filled with comfortable adjustable eye cups and a rock steady 16X with 3 degree stabilization with a big 42 mm aperture and 62.4 degree AFOV and MIJ! It turns off and on when you bring it up to your eyes and uses two AA batteries that last for 120 hours WITH two spare batteries carried onboard! If Swarovski made an IS binocular this would be it!

https://www.kiteoptics.com/en/nature/product/244/bino-apc-stabilized-42/

Looks like a warm weather binocular, that tiny recessed focus would be unusable with gloves.

Any IS binocular is out for me. There are plenty of other choices without the electronic problems that
these will all have some day.

That is why none of them have gained any traction or meaningful sales numbers.
The market prevails, I don't see them going anywhere, even with some new models coming out.

Jerry

The IS of the APC 16x42 works very well and I am pretty sure you're going to like it. In particular, unlike the IS of the Fujinon, it is totally silent. It will be interesting to see if you will prefer the Kite to Fujinon----I look forward to reading your comparative review.
Peter. How is that recessed focuser on the Kite APC 16x42 binocular with gloves on? Is it usable? Thanks!

Any IS binocular is out for me. There are plenty of other choices without the electronic problems that
these will all have some day.

That is why none of them have gained any traction or meaningful sales numbers.
The market prevails, I don't see them going anywhere, even with some new models coming out.

Jerry
Jerry. Have you ever tried an IS binocular? They are pretty addictive once you see how much more detail you can see and how relaxing it is to view through them versus the shaking you get with a normal binocular. I would imagine Canon sells quite a few IS binoculars with all the different models they have especially for astronomical use and actually Fraser and Fujinon sell a lot of there IS binoculars for boating, fishing, police and military use. Many fishermen will use them for hours scanning the sea looking for birds and debris because it is a sign that there are big game fish close by. In fact by the type of birds they see they can tell what type of fish there might be in that area. A commercial fisherman will not bat an eye spending $5K for a Fraser IS binocular because they know they will get their money back many folds in increased profits. On a boat a regular binocular is useless. Many Fraser's are sold to the Police and Military for surveillance from helicopters. The newer IS binoculars made by Canon, Fraser and Fujinon are very reliable.

Last edited:
Peter. How is that recessed focuser on the Kite APC 16x42 binocular with gloves on? Is it usable? Thanks!

Yes it is, despite appearances. I wondered the same thing and here is the clarification from Kite:
"The focuser can certainly be used with gloves, we paid attention to this when designing it. The focus wheel is long, so it can be operated easily by 3 fingers. Which was important to us since the focus wheel is in the lower segment of the instrument. Also the grip pattern is very deep, ideal for gloves.
It may seem, especially in a photo, as if the top of the wheel is in line with the surface. That is so, but on a photo it is less visible that on both sides of the wheel, the rubber surface makes a slope down so in fact it is very accessible with your hand."

Yes it is, despite appearances. I wondered the same thing and here is the clarification from Kite:
"The focuser can certainly be used with gloves, we paid attention to this when designing it. The focus wheel is long, so it can be operated easily by 3 fingers. Which was important to us since the focus wheel is in the lower segment of the instrument. Also the grip pattern is very deep, ideal for gloves.
It may seem, especially in a photo, as if the top of the wheel is in line with the surface. That is so, but on a photo it is less visible that on both sides of the wheel, the rubber surface makes a slope down so in fact it is very accessible with your hand."
Thanks! Good answer right from Kite!

Can the new Fujinon and Kite IS binoculars use Eneloop or Lithium AA batteries?

What is the actual measured weight of each binocular with batteries?

Is the very annoying micro jiggle of the Fujinon 14x40 absent?

Regards,
B.

If the Kite 16x42 is pointed up in the sky does the IS switch off?

If the Kite 16x42 is pointed down from a helicopter does the IS switch off?

Is the Kite 16x42 a reverse Porroprism binocular or a roof prism binocular or something else?

I think that some of the Russian IS binoculars don't work properly when pointed up.
Some also have smaller exit pupils than surmised as they only use part of the objectives as the IS moves.
The 16x50 was actually 16x35.

Regards,
B.

Peter. Could you answer these questions on the Kite APC 16x42? Thanks! My pair is on the way from Kite.

1)Can the new Fujinon and Kite IS binoculars use Eneloop or Lithium AA batteries?
2)What is the actual measured weight of each binocular with batteries?
3)Is the very annoying micro jiggle of the Fujinon 14x40 absent?
4)If the Kite 16x42 is pointed up in the sky does the IS switch off?
5)If the Kite 16x42 is pointed down from a helicopter does the IS switch off?
6)Is the Kite 16x42 a reverse Porroprism binocular or a roof prism binocular or something else?
7)Are the Kite 16x42 objectives so cut off the are actually 16x39s?

Peter. Could you answer these questions on the Kite APC 16x42? Thanks! My pair is on the way from Kite.

1)Can the new Fujinon and Kite IS binoculars use Eneloop or Lithium AA batteries?
6)Is the Kite 16x42 a reverse Porroprism binocular or a roof prism binocular or something else?

I could guess the answer to most of them, but I prefer to ask Kite---they are more qualified to answer these questions---I will post their reply when I get it. Questions 5 and 7 are especially tricky. I believe it's not a real 42mm (of course I have also noticed the fact that the objective lenses are cut off---I have never seen that in any other binos). Concerning 5) I believe that the IS will switch off, but the binos have a minuscule indicator lamp that shows whether the power is on or off, and if it is off then you can switch it on by tilting the binos a bit.

Kite's super-prompt answers:

Only alkaline batteries and lithium batteries are advised. no rechargables.

12x42 : 720g empty – 767g 2xAA – 814g 4xAA

16x42: 735g empty – 782g 2xAA – 829g 4xAA

The KITE APC has no, or no noticable, micro jiggles. The Fujinon instrument is not the same and not made in the same way as KITE binoculars.

No

The switch off would only happen if the instrument passes 60° from horizontal downwards. Even in a helicopter, people don’t often look straight down but under angle.

The system has been used and tried on sea rescue helicopters without complaint on this function.

We are preparing a 3D animation that shows how the prism works, because other than in most stabilized binoculars, here it is the prism that creates the stabilisation.

the objectives shape of the AID is atypic, so is its prism and optical construction in general. when measuring the objective’s diameter you have 42mm, it has a cut off section and when calculating the glass surface and compare to a round lens you would end up slightly under 40mm. The APC is not a convential binocular, nor should its objective diameter be interpreted in the exact same way as a conventional binocular.

We shall communicate light transmissons when the animations about the technical functioning are done. Unfortuantely we have some delays in all this because of the lockdown in Belgium.

The KITE APC has no, or no noticable, micro jiggles. The Fujinon instrument is not the same and not made in the same way as KITE binoculars.

No

The switch off would only happen if the instrument passes 60° from horizontal downwards. Even in a helicopter, people don’t often look straight down but under angle.

The system has been used and tried on sea rescue helicopters without complaint on this function.

We are preparing a 3D animation that shows how the prism works, because other than in most stabilized binoculars, here it is the prism that creates the stabilisation.

the objectives shape of the AID is atypic, so is its prism and optical construction in general. when measuring the objective’s diameter you have 42mm, it has a cut off section and when calculating the glass surface and compare to a round lens you would end up slightly under 40mm. The APC is not a convential binocular, nor should its objective diameter be interpreted in the exact same way as a conventional binocular.

We shall communicate light transmissons when the animations about the technical functioning are done. Unfortunately we have some delays in all this because of the lockdown in Belgium.
Thanks, for the superfast response from you and Kite! Kite seems like a great company. They were excellent when I ordered the Kite APC 16x42 and I get it Friday all the way from Belgium to the US. I couldn't ask for better customer service. I asked Swarovski a couple of questions a week ago and haven't gotten an answer yet. I like how Kite gives detailed answers to questions which is very different from most binocular manufacturers, and they seem very innovative in their designs and technology. I think Canon and Fujinon better watch out. Makes me want to try some of their normal binoculars.

Last edited:
Thank you both and to Kite for your help.

I think that the Zeiss 20x60S also has moving prisms and also some of the Russian IS binoculars.
Some Russian IS binoculars use superfast giros that sound like no other IS system. But in a tank I don't suppose this matters.

Regards,
B.

The Minolta 8x18 UC and 6x18 UC binoculars I think have rectangular objectives that are more cut off than the 16x42 Kite.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
Thank you both and to Kite for your help.

I think that the Zeiss 20x60S also has moving prisms and also some of the Russian IS binoculars.
Some Russian IS binoculars use superfast giros that sound like no other IS system. But in a tank I don't suppose this matters.

Regards,
B.
That is interesting that the Zeiss 20x60s and the Kite APC 16x42 both using moving prisms for the IS system. I have seen a cut away of the Zeiss 20x60s and it is an AMAZING piece of engineering. I would like to see a cut away of the Kite.

No

We shall communicate light transmissons when the animations about the technical functioning are done. Unfortuantely we have some delays in all this because of the lockdown in Belgium.
That is still only 29 oz. for the Kite APC 16x42 with 4 AA batteries in it. I guess two are spares and aren't used. Amazingly light. It makes me wonder what kind of IS system it uses.

That is still only 29 oz. for the Kite APC 16x42 with 4 AA batteries in it. I guess two are spares and aren't used. Amazingly light. It makes me wonder what kind of IS system it uses.

Yes, two batteries are spares that will be used only if/when needed. Each pair will last 60h.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back